• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy aggression at 6months?

Zoezoe

I was browsing the classifieds (one day I may find another cavalier, you never know) and found an ad for a 6 month old male cavalier where is says "He is, however, pretty dominant and has nipped my 5 year old daughter. He needs to be in an adult home (or kids over 12), preferably with no other pets (or with a mellow pet that could handle a pushy pup)"
at that age do you think that he is really dominat or could it just be a frusterated puppy? Just curious,
Osanna and Zoe

Hi. Well i'm no expert, but please dont even think of looking there for your next dog:eek:. Cavs generally have the sweetest of natures, and I doubt this one is really any different. He is still just a pup. the max they must have had him is 4 months, and will still be learning what is expected of him. However the pup/small child is not a good mix !

A 5 year old child is not really old enough to understand that the pup is not a cuddly toy. Personally I think I'd keep the pup and advertise the kid.:badgrin:

My Max is 10 months old and he still tends to grab with his mouth (I don't like to call it nipping because he really isn't trying to nip but I doubt if it feels any different) when he gets overexcited. It's no excuse and we are working at making sure he calms down BEFORE he is overstimulated but I would never let him play unsupervised with a young child. He loves kids and is very calm when we meet kids who want to pet him while we are walking but like puppies kids don't always know when enough is enough and have to be taught.

It sounds like this scenario to me:

The owner is not very dog savvy, or has not had a puppy in a while. The pup is just being a puppy and the owner is considering the "nipping" as biting, when he's really just playing (same with playing with other dogs- pups will rough-house like crazy and could look like dominance if you had very little dog experience). It sounds like the pup just needs some obedience training, probably more exercise, and needs to work on being taught when and how to use it's mouth. I highly doubt a 6 month old Cavalier is showing signs of aggression...

We have two cavs, charlie and sam and one (charlie) is the boss of the other (sam) ha ha. Pups nip, this is a fact. Charlie would nip at us the odd time but it is never aggressive just play when he gets excited. I would never consider cavs aggressive however I still remember in the back of my mind they are animals and have primal instincts. We are due a baby and I would say the baby when they are able to crawl etc will think the dogs are teddys however the dogs are used to kids and will get used to the baby. Once your dogs are disciplined and know who the boss is and the kids know the same there should never be any issues. Its when the kids get over excited or pull out of the dogs or when the dogs try and dominate the kids problems arise. My sister has two cocker spanels and a 13 month old and the baby gives out to the dogs and bosses them around, they just run away ha ha!!

Personally I think I'd keep the pup and advertise the kid

:lol: Yes this ad just sounds like someone who didn't do much basic reading on dog ownership and puppies before getting a pup and leaving it without adequate supervision with a very young child. Six month old puppies are not 'dominant', they are just being hyperactive puppies.

However I would totally agree that NO very young child should be left alone with a dog or a puppy and vice versa. Interactions should be supervised. Letting toddlers chase or play alone with dogs or babies crawl around dogs is a potential recipe for a serious disaster on one side or another. Dogs should never be expected to learn to endlessly tolerate the unexpected grabbing of small children or hugs etc. A small child that trips on a dog can get a vicious bite as can kids hugging dogs.

I have quoted this statistic so many times but in both the UK and the US, MOST dog bites are to children, to the face, by a dog they know. As one dog writer has noted, a dog has the equivalent of of a mouthful of carpet knives. That they are generally so gentle and accommodating is a tribute to their overall nature. But many unexpected things can trigger a response if a dog is startled, surprised or accidentally hurt. Even a gentle small dog can accidentally knock over a small child.

Do not risk a maimed or seriously injured baby or child. Use babygates, playpens, etc and never let a baby or young child crawl or rush around any dog unless you are there supervising at arm's length. Babies in particular need constant supervision around a dog.

Back