• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Extra strong toys!!

george108

Does anyone have any good suggestions for some REALLY strong toys for Chrissie? We've lost count of the amount of toys we've had to throw out since she arrived. She tears soft toys to bits and isn't overly fond of the rubber toys, Kong etc. She even decided to have a good chew on the Sky+ remote control yesterday!! :) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I recently bought some PetStages toys when I was in Poland - I've never seen them in any shops in Ireland, and they seemed like really good value for the quality of toy - so I stuffed my case full of them!

My 3 are fairly gentle with their toys, but my Mums daschunds are total chewers! A squeaky ball or toy will only last 2 minutes in their mouths before its ripped to shreds. I brought Mum home two of the 'Orka' range from Petstages and they are sooo strong and durable, and more to the point they are still intact almost a month later! You can also stuff them with kibble and food, similar to Kongs, so they keep them occupied for longer.

The website is: www.petstages.com and I've checked and theres a contact in Wicklow if you search under the 'International Contacts' section, maybe this lady can advise if these toys can be bought in Ireland.

I can recommend the chew chain and twin pull - they are the favourite toys in our house at the moment!

ive got some pet stages toys too - mum got them in england & Sparky loves them - he's not a destroyer Cass is though!!!

I love petstage toys, and most of them survived three puppies. Harley still plays with them.

Thanks guys. Believe it or not she actually made a hole in her petstages toy just this morning. I think she got about 4 days out of it!! For anyone that's interested, we got them in petmania. They do seem to be the strongest toys around, I guess it's back to petmania for some more!! :)

Ollie is a major chewer and he has the Mini Orka chew and the Mini Loop Ball. Both have lasted a long time (like 2 months now) and he and Winston play with them all the time.

Zara is the toy wrecker in our house - we've tried all of the "tough" toys! I can recommend Tuffies (an American brand) which there's a good selection of here (http://www.woofs-world.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25 , although I haven't used this site before). They are quite expensive but do stand up well to abuse!
Also this little squeaky egg (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/squeaker_dog_toys/latex_squeakers/13124) - all of ours LOVE it and it's made from latex, so it gives when they bite into it and our original is still going strong after a month! The squeak is quite loud though..!
Good luck!

What about rope toys? Meant to be good for the teeth?
We once had an Australian Shepherd that I gave a Booda Bone to (big rope with knots on the end). She chewed and swallowed bits of the rope. I saw it come out the other end:eek: and thought she had a bad case of worms. Further inspection proved it was rope bits. I took the booda bone away forever.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for some REALLY strong toys . . .

Do you have NylaBones over in the UK/Ireland? Our Sophie is an aggressive chewer and the likes them, NylaBones makes one called Galileo that she likes, too.

Have you tried NylaBones? One of mine can get through them (quite litterally, bights them in half - apparently unheard of by the shop assistant) in a few hours, but they are really tough. Obviously, my chap is a bad advert for them but he can chew through anything, concrete doesn't even stop him. They are very good and not too pricey (always a plus). I think they are available in most pet stores.

Also, Xtreme Kongs are brill for heavy chewers. They lasted a while in our house (once again, my chap is a really bad advert for these things) but a Cav may have more difficulty getting through one. Neither of my two Cavs have made much of a dent in the NylaBone or the Xtreme Kong, and they can get going when the mood takes them ;)

On rope toys/flossies etc. - I have had a similar problem of them coming out the other end, lovely and colourful. My lot only get them to play with and when one of them sits down for a good chew we take them off of them.

Have you considered something that can be eaten, raw hide and such? This is all I can give my super chewer because there is no point giving him anything that can't go through him (have spent way too much money over the years on chewy things, no point anymore!). All I can say is that I am lucky he doesn't have a taste for furniture or walls! :rolleyes:

Petstages have been great with my girls, I have one shaped like a jack that has a lot to chew on. Also Nylabones makes some flavored rock hard bones to chew. I have a coupel that are 3 years old and still in good shape.

Winston will chew and eat Nylabones. Is that okay? I freaked out when I watched him do it and took it away. Aren't they made out of plastic?

Back