Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mvd in cavalier king charles spaniels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MVD in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Just wondering ,why can't the MRI Scan Results be being sent to Dr Blott at the moment ,what's the reason having to wait for the BVA and KC.

I was at the SM Seminar here in Scotland in April, where Dr Blott Mentioned that they were only getting a Trickle of MRI Scans. They need about 1,000.

Has Mr Skerritt not got about that number , so why does he not pass them onto Dr Blott.?

Bet(Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    Just wondering ,why can't the MRI Scan Results be being sent to Dr Blott at the moment ,what's the reason having to wait for the BVA and KC.

I was at the SM Seminar here in Scotland in April, where Dr Blott Mentioned that they were only getting a Trickle of MRI Scans. They need about 1,000.

Has Mr Skerritt not got about that number , so why does he not pass them onto Dr Blott.?

Bet(Hargreaves)
    I think that written permission is needed to pass on such information, and many of the existing certificates do not have the owner's signature giving that permission.

Geoff Skerritt at Chestergate and the Robinson's at Dovecote do have a box where the owners sign to agree the results can be used for research, but I do not know whether that is sufficient to allow those centres to pass the information to the EBV scheme.

There may be a problem in that, if the owner did not breed the dog, the release of the information would also have implications for the owners and/or breeders of that cavalier's sire and dam.

It is possible some breeders would not want to release information that could lead to accurate breeding values of their dogs being included in Sarah's scheme.

I believe it is intended the BV/KC certificate, which will be used by everyone when the official scheme starts, will require owners to agree the information is automatically made available to the researchers.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MVD in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Have you any idea when the KC/ BVA Scheme could be making a start , or is the Data Protection Act holding things up.?

Another thought Iv'e had ,will the EBV Scheme be useful or will the the Genes for SM and MVD have to be found first.

Bet(Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    Have you any idea when the KC/ BVA Scheme could be making a start , or is the Data Protection Act holding things up.?

Another thought Iv'e had ,will the EBV Scheme be useful or will the the Genes for SM and MVD have to be found first.

Bet(Hargreaves)
    I don't know what progress has been made. The neurologists were quick off the mark with their preliminary meeting but no news since.
    Perhaps Jeff Sampson ( for those that don't know, he is the Kennel Club genetics advisor) could give you some idea of progress.

The EBV programme has the potential to be a wonderful help, if the breeders will use it.
    The information from MRI scans & heart testing will make the EBV programme worthwhile, but it will be even more accurate when the Canadian geneticists find the SM & MVD genes.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    There are many pet owners out there with dogs who have excellent pedigrees.Maybe by expanding Mri schemes to pet owners who are willing to help with research you can fill in the gaps left by breeders who don't wish to submit their own stock for scans.
    Sins
    Just to say that Mark Marshall, one of the new members here has posted about a scanning day he is organising.

I understand these have been very well organised events. http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=31386
    Margaret C