• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bird-bones....

renate

today i took bella and sienna for a checkup to the chiropractor.
sienna had a bad dislocation of the pelvis when she was quite young, and still needs a bit of correcting sometimes.
bella i took along just to make shue she is ok.

the doctor said that bella has what is called bird-bones.
i had never heard of bird-bones before...

bella is the same size as the others, but because of her bone structure she weigh significantly less. the is a 'bird-quality' about her, when one lifts her.
she told me that this type of bone structure is finer (thinner) than the 'normal' ones, but much stronger and more flexible. that is probably why bella can do the most amazing twists and turns during heelwork to music.
sha also said that with this bone structure almost always comes the ability and will to work a lot and concentrate harder and much longer than what is usual for the breed.
i am often told by competitors and judges that bella works like a border collie.....:) and she does!

bird-bones are, according to her a much priced asset in racehorses and greyhounds.

now, has anyone here heard of bird bones, and in cavaliers?

does anyone have cavaliers with bird-bones? (i dearly would like my next puppy to be like that....:))

That's interesting. My Bob is finer boned, (though not alot smaller than other Cavaliers we meet) his ear flaps are thinner too. It has been suggested to me that this is because he's possibly from a puppy farm (or similiar) and that his mother wasn't fed enough/correctly when pregnant.
Recently we've has scares with a possible slipped disc, although we don't know for sure as we didn't have an MRI scan, as he got better through 4 weeks of rest (fingerscrossed it stays that way!). And he's now broken his metararsal!
Bob loves to run and is very fast! We would have continued with agility had it not been for his back and my paranoia! We go to competition obedience classes which he loves - especially the clicker and treats! He does have higher energy / driveyness about him than other Cavaliers I know.

Renate, I've never heard of this but Ollie could possibly have them if it's possible! He is the tallest and longest of all three of my Cavaliers, although he weighs the least. I always say he should be an agility dog with all the crazy twists, twirls, and acrobatics he does!

I've never heard of this either but I'd have to say Chardonnay/Puppy would be in the category of "bird-bones". She's a long lanky thing and only weighs 10lbs. However, she's smaller than most of the cavalier's I've seen, though my friend who also owns cavaliers says that the european cavalier's are smaller than the american (that's probably because ours are just a tad bit plumper).

She does crazy tricks and things like you described and she runs ridiculously fast for a small dog. She also gets hurt really easily. I remember when she got her yearly vaccinations, she was sore for about a week and there have also been times where she's been in the way and accidently gotten hurt. She's way for fragile than our other 3 dogs (I live in an appt with two other roommates). She's more fragile than Titus but he's a big baby. And my roommate has a chihuahua/Jack russel mix that actually weighs more than Puppy.

Back