• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie's Eye

Charlotte

Charlie had a bath today (5th) and when he came back he had loose hair from having a trim in his eye. We managed to get rid of the hair in one of his eyes, but he still has quite alot in the other eye. Do you think it's irritating him? Will it just come out on its own?

Last edited:
I presume you mean the hairs are not attached to him (ie. growing into his eye) - if this is the case, their eyes will get them out themselves. If you notice that he is irritated by them and they don't seem to be shifting then a saline wash should do the trick. If he is still irritated by them (this would be after several hours) then he could have a scratched eye or mild infection, thus the reason they were not clearing (and he would need ot be taken to the vet). This is not too likely and they should make their way out fo his eye by the end of the day without problems.

Of course, if you mean they are growing into his eye, a trip to the vet is def in order.

Hope it all clears up soon :)

I presume you mean the hairs are not attached to him (ie. growing into his eye) - if this is the case, their eyes will get them out themselves. If you notice that he is irritated by them and they don't seem to be shifting then a saline wash should do the trick. If he is still irritated by them (this would be after several hours) then he could have a scratched eye or mild infection, thus the reason they were not clearing (and he would need ot be taken to the vet). This is not too likely and they should make their way out fo his eye by the end of the day without problems.

Of course, if you mean they are growing into his eye, a trip to the vet is def in order.

Hope it all clears up soon :)

Okay, thanks :) It's just like loose hair, which got stuck in his eye, not growing into his eye. Lol :p

If it's loose hair adhering to the surface of the eye then that will be really irritating for him, and would perhaps indicate that he's not making enough tears to clear it himself? Might need to get that checked by a vet, they are very prone to dry eye {lack of tears}

In the meantime, bathe the eye with lots of warm water. Literally flood the eye by dribbling water into it, and that should wash it out. Then dry the face with a towel. I add 1ml of witchhazel to 300 ml water.

It is a good idea to do this twice a day with Cavaliers anyway, due to their large eyes, often the lids don't close properly when they blink so they accumulate debris on the eye.

The surface of the eye is NOT sterile so you don't need to use sterile water.

{This information came from an opthalmologist who could have picked me up off the floor when he "drowned" one of my Cavaliers demonstrating the technique! }

oh and NEVER use cotton wool as the fibres stick to the eye. I keep a baby sponge especially for this purpose

Thanks everyone for answering my question. I managed to get it out, eventually. With the crumbly bits at the side i just wetted a tissue a wiped it off. He seems better now. Fast asleep in his bed. :l*v:

Back