• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

wanting to buy another cav.....

debbs

hi

sorry this post is in the wrong place but the like it should be under, wouldnt let me post there for some reason.

I have a cav called lily who is nearly 3. I really want a friend for her but her breeder isnt breeding anymore. I was wonderinf if any breeders come onto here live in or around durham or newcastle? Its just so hard to find a reputable breeder that is really a true breeder...... thanks

i dont envy your search, if i knew what i know now about cavaliers i would never have got harley, i wish all the luck and hope you find what your looking for, just be very careful and dont be fooled by those adorable puppies with other than perfect and in fact no tests at all. di

I have lived a long time and had many dogs and many breeds of dogs-- my cavaliers are actually healthier than my rescue collie, rescue cocker, my hunting dog I purchased (Britney), and the shihtzu my parents had. I've had one dog that was notoriously healthy and she was a german shorthair pointer (not a great housedog). If I was to buy a puppy (of any breed), I'd want to get to know the breeder long before I bought a pup.. OR I'd get a rescue.

Good luck with your search, Sandy

My:p advice would be to contact the British Kennel club to get a list of breeders or find out when there is a dog show (Kennel club endorsed)... you may meet a breeder and get your pup that way:dogwlk:.
I know Irish Cavalier people would know alot of good breeders in the UK...so even if you contacted the Irish Kennel Club... and contacted an Irish breeder???
Hope that helps:xfngr:
PM me if you need to(y)

Hi Debbs and welcome.
If you look up the cavalier club on line( www.thecavalierclub.co.uk ) you will find a list of regional cavalier clubs.Each regional club would have a dedicated person who co ordinates the puppy register for club members who have litters for sale.I'm sure they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.Then you can chat to some breeders and see if they have something that may suit.
Sins

Hi Debbs and welcome.
If you look up the cavalier club on line( www.thecavalierclub.co.uk ) you will find a list of regional cavalier clubs.Each regional club would have a dedicated person who co ordinates the puppy register for club members who have litters for sale.I'm sure they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.Then you can chat to some breeders and see if they have something that may suit.
Sins

Any one buying a cavalier puppy would be well advised to do their homework thoroughly.

This breed has two big health problems and some cavaliers can get ill at a fairly young age. Puppy buyers need to be aware of what questions to ask when they go to see a litter of puppies.

The puppy register coordinators will usually only act as a referral point for club members. Many of them would not see it as their responsibility to check that breeding guidelines have been followed, and some of them may not mention these health problems to the puppy buyer making enquiries.

So be aware, all good breeders should automatically show you heart, eye, and MRI certificates.

There will be some breeders that talk very convincingly about how concerned they are about breeding healthy puppies, but if they do not have those three certificates for both parents, then it is empty words.

Pet buyers have the power to make a difference by supporting responsible breeders.
If you buy from someone who has not tested, you have made it worth their while to not bother.

Pet buyers have the power to make a difference by supporting responsible breeders.
If you buy from someone who has not tested, you have made it worth their while to not bother.

Margaret could not have said it better. If we give up and give in, and try to justify it by saying "well, the puppies are already here and they need a home" then those who pose as responsible breeders but are not, will win -- they will continue to talk the talk without walking the walk.

When you talk to breeders who are Club members but who are not following health protocols, tell them politely why you are not interested in one of their puppies and move on. If you cannot find a breeder who is following the protocols and has what you want do not breakdown and accept something less. Get on a wait list and wait it out or decide instead to make a place in your home for a true rescue.

thanks. i already have 1 cav so know the homework, i just wanted to know if anyone knew of any local reputable breeders really just near to where i live as the breeder i got my cav from dosent breed anymore.. I am aware of the risks & health probs.......:D

Where are you Debbs - if you give an area, someone in that area may then be able to PM you if they know of a reputable breeder. {Please don't post names on the forum - thank you}

Back