Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New UK Study of CKCS with CM shows brain too big for its caudal fossa

Post Thanks / Like

I love looking at the old pictures. It's funny, when you think about it, that today, a lot of the "poor breds" look like the originals with their longer legs, noses and flat skulls!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chloe92us View Post
    I love looking at the old pictures. It's funny, when you think about it, that today, a lot of the "poor breds" look like the originals with their longer legs, noses and flat skulls!

I think we must be the unlucky ones as i chose Ruby specifically for her old Cavvie look. I will try to post some photos foor you to see. I dont like the look of the Show Cavs which is why I Chose Ruby.
    She has the old style longer nose and head although she has still been plagued by SM.
    It must be the genes as if it was just down to size and shape Ruby shouldnt have SM!!

Karen and Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old-school-looking Cavalier too. And another that just looks like a miniature St. Bernard with the size of his head!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    I think we must be the unlucky ones as i chose Ruby specifically for her old Cavvie look. I will try to post some photos foor you to see. I dont like the look of the Show Cavs which is why I Chose Ruby.
    She has the old style longer nose and head although she has still been plagued by SM.
    It must be the genes as if it was just down to size and shape Ruby shouldnt have SM!!

Karen and Ruby

I have added 3 photos to the community photo albums if you wanted to look- they arent the most flattering photos but they are the best angles to see her head shape!

Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah I finally managed to get a picture on for when I post but you can see the length of her nose in this one even!
    i think she is the most beautiful Cavvie in the world but then Im bias I supose!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New UK Study of CKCS Shows Brain Too Big for it's Caudal Fossa.

This is just a thought ,I have looked at the Photos mentioned, could it be possible that some Cavalier Breeders ,behind Closed Doors, have been crossing Cavaliers with King Charles Spaniels, this is how Cavaliers are looking smaller in size now-a-days.

Many Cavaliers have what I call wee Snub Noses, like KCS.

Bet hargreaves

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New UK Study of CKCS Shows Brain Too Big for it's Caudal Fossa

Thanks Sins , for putting the WebSite up, I had'nt known about my Article being on it.

The Photo of Ch .DAYWELL ROGER, is exactly like what the Cavalier Heads used to look like.

Then Cavalier Dogs and up to about 30 years ago looked liked Dogs , not Pretty ,Pretty like they look to-day. !!!!

Ch Homaranne Caption ,born 1976 ,lived to 15 ,and is the back-ground of many Long Lived Cavaliers ,also had this same DOG look .

Why has the the New Type Look become the Norm for Cavalier Dogs. ???

Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Bet said "some Cavalier Breeders ,behind Closed Doors, have been crossing Cavaliers with King Charles Spaniels, this is how Cavaliers are looking smaller in size now-a-days. "

Oh Bet thanks for saying something I have wondered for years!

While I would NEVER say anything was deliberate!! I have seen the popularity of the KCS grow and become a favorite of the CKCS breeder/exhibiters for many years now. The look of the Charlie and particularly the temperament has become more Cavalier like. I feel the Charlie dome is not as pronounced as it was when the Charlie was a more select breed owned by a few who guarded the breed fiercely.These are just my personal observations but I fear the breed stalwarts that have dwindled now would be sad as Charlie pups are now turning up on internet puppy sites.Accidents can and do happen ,as Cavaliers are already a "mixed" breed would DNA tets pick this up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Evelin I thought exactly the same thing when I visited Crufts this year- I actually went to see some friends in the healwork to music and obedience competitions however I couldnt help but go and have a look round all the Cavaliers. I must say I was very suprised at the difference I saw between these show dogs and my own Ruby. Suprised and Shocked!! It definatly looked like the two breeds (Charlies and Cavs) are beginning to merge back in to one another. They are two breeds for a reason so why can people just leave them as so.

Karen and Ruby x

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Rusbridge once remarked that proportionately (given the preponderance of blenheims and tris) a lot of rubies seemed to have SM. Looking at old photos, the rubies and black and tans often seem to have rounder heads and shorter noses, and I have often wondered whether some of the first Cavaliers were long-nosed rejects from whole colour litters of Charlies and whole colour Cavaliers continue to throw back more easily to these ancestors.

I bought a fascinating CD at the Cavalier Club show this year, containing Cavalier pages from the Dog World and Our Dogs annuals for 1936 to 1970. Featured kennels are Eyeworth, Hillbarn, Millstone, Otterholt, Pargeter, Sunninghill and Ttiweh, and each photo is linked to an index of 3-generation pedigrees. I think it is still available from the Bookshop page of the Cavalier Club website (www.thecavalierclub.co.uk)

Kate, Oliver (definitely shorter nosed but flat-headed ruby!) and Aled

PS CD is called 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniels of the Past, A Photographic Record'
    Last edited by Kate H; 10th August 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Adding information