• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Litter box training - pee vs poop

dandelos

We've gotten through the first 2 days of our new 8-week-old pup's arrival, and after introducing him to his litter box we have been delighted that he has been able to automatically step into it to poop. However, he seems to care less about where he pees, though -- we're still trying to teach him to go into his litter box to pee without us having to put him in there. Has anyone else experienced this difference in attitude between pee and poop locations?

Last edited:
I think a litter box is pointless with a male. When he gets to abut 6-9 months he will start lifting his leg and a litterbox will not work.

Better to train him to go outside and make the accommodation needed to get him out. Otherwise you are going to have to build some sort of booth for him to pee in and it is going to get pretty darn stinky!

PS at only 8 weeks old he is a baby and needs you to TAKE him where he is to go, on a lead, for many months yet. (y) It will be weeks to months before he gets the basic idea of where to go and he probably won't be 99% reliable til close to a year. I'd get Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining. :)

Thanks, Karlin!

The problem is we live in a high-rise apartment in the city so there's nowhere outside we can safely take him. At least until he is done with his puppy vaccinations, which will be in about 4 more weeks, I believe. But yes we are aware that the litter box arrangement is just temporary (unfortunately).

I have actually ordered Shirlee Kalstone's book, which I should hopefully receive sometime this week.

I think a litter box is pointless with a male. When he gets to abut 6-9 months he will start lifting his leg and a litterbox will not work.
One of our boys (Elvis) will 'half lift' to pee once in a very great while. Beauregard never has. Our male Saint Bernard would very rarely lift his just a bit... but like Elvis, not often, and not all the way.

I have the same problem with clara she pees and poops everywhere but the litter box and training pads! Im going to buy a crate and see if this works

1 week later, and our puppy will go into his litter box 100% of the time as long as we put him in his exercise pen (where his litter box is) just before or during his pee/poop dance.

Sometimes he does even go into his exercise pen and then the litter box to relieve himself on his own too. :)

Back