Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any other SM dogs have these symptoms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Do any other SM dogs have these symptoms?

Ever since Sophie was a tiny puppy she used to sit up and close her eyes, almost falling asleep sitting up. I put this down to just being a puppy and being tired all the time. She still does this now, I often wonder if she constantly has a headache?

Second odd thing, her saliva glands are almost always enlarged,she does a lot of gulping, her neuroligist said that she has seen this in some SM dogs and they produce too much saliva.

Does anyone elses dog have either of these symtoms?
    Regards

Sharon (Sophie's Mother)
    In Sunny Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Falling asleep ...............................

Yes, my bitch Lana will behave as described but normally its when in my arms or sat on my lap.

She also produces a lot of saliva but here's the good news.

She has been scanned twice - both clear, NO SM but has herniation.

So dont worry unduly.

Regards Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sharon, they might be or might not be, as you have a diagnosed dog- interesting that your neurologist believes enlarged salivary glands might appear as a sign in some dogs. It sounds like your neurologist is keeping an eye on whether these could be signs of pain, and would advise you if your meds needed changing for Sophie. If it isn't really bothering her I'd not worry too much. I know quite a few people believe that sleepy look may be a sign of headaches sometimes in their scanned and diagnosed dogs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

My sm dog also has sleepy looks too, but when he started his Gabapentin, I was told that it would make him sleepier - which it has. I didn't realise that this could be a sign of headaches, hopefully its just the meds.
    On the subject of saliva glands, he often spits up what I can only describe as a watery saliva type of puddle. Sometimes this can be frothy with maybe one piece of undigested dog food, other times it seems to happen just after he has been drinking water, when it looks totally clear. The vet put him on Losec, 5mgs daily to help his tummy, but I don't think it has done much. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Charlifarley; 29th August 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: additional text

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default I was going to ask the same thing!

Over the last fortnight Ruby has started gulping ALOT its always when shes dozing and/or when she goes to bed. She has only been on the gabapentin for a month and normally i'll encourage her to have a drink which she is good with as she will normally respond when i ask her to 'water'.
    I wondered myself if this was anything to do with her meds as with Cimetidine it reduces the fluid which Clare told me may cause her to drink alot more than usual and maybe become incontinent around the house- thankfully she is still clean around the house but I wonder if she has dry mouth and is just ignoring the need to drink. She doesnt drool excessively though- unless i am eating cheese or roast dinner!!! Well she drools when she feels nautious which isnt very often!
    Ill ask the vet when we go for our check up this week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlifarley View Post
    My sm dog also has sleepy looks too, but when he started his Gabapentin, I was told that it would make him sleepier - which it has. I didn't realise that this could be a sign of headaches, hopefully its just the meds.
    On the subject of saliva glands, he often spits up what I can only describe as a watery saliva type of puddle. Sometimes this can be frothy with maybe one piece of undigested dog food, other times it seems to happen just after he has been drinking water, when it looks totally clear. The vet put him on Losec, 5mgs daily to help his tummy, but I don't think it has done much. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks
    Yes to the watery puddles of vomit, outside on the pavers, usually with a little grass mixed in.
    She has also started pooping in my back room, my grandson sleeps in there (I mind him 4 days a week) I thought this might just be jealousy?
    Sophie seems more sleepy eyed since being on Gabapetin also, and its only been a couple of weeks. I am so concerned, I don't know what to do. I am waiting on an answer from her nero.
    Regards

Sharon (Sophie's Mother)
    In Sunny Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Madison is 6 years old next week and she constantly looks like she is going to fall asleep sitting up. She looks like a little kid trying to fight going to sleep. I assume that she does not have SM although I have never had her scanned. She has no symptoms whatsoever, even though her half-sister Riley has an advanced and severe case. I think Madison just fights sleep for some reason - sleeps like a dream all night though. So it may not be related to Sophie's SM at all.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Can anybody tell me more symptoms of sm?
    Lisa-Owner to tri colour female ClaraBow born 30-6-09

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa - if you look in the health library on this forum you will find a ton of information about SM. Karlin has done an absolutley amazing job of compiling the most up to date info. Just be aware that every dog is different and may display common symptoms or none of the typical ones. My Riley, who had SM surgery last year, had none of the typical symptoms. Her problems were more related to her vestibular system and caused her very severe imbalance problems. She also displayed a pronounced head tilt and some weakness in her rear legs. But she never seemed to be in pain, never scratched. Take a look at all the info that's in the library. You'll end up knowing more about SM than your vet probably knows!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers View Post
    Lisa - if you look in the health library on this forum you will find a ton of information about SM. Karlin has done an absolutley amazing job of compiling the most up to date info. Just be aware that every dog is different and may display common symptoms or none of the typical ones. My Riley, who had SM surgery last year, had none of the typical symptoms. Her problems were more related to her vestibular system and caused her very severe imbalance problems. She also displayed a pronounced head tilt and some weakness in her rear legs. But she never seemed to be in pain, never scratched. Take a look at all the info that's in the library. You'll end up knowing more about SM than your vet probably knows!

Hi thanks very much! Clara has weakness in her back paw and is always scratching her ears though she does have ear mites. I really do worry about every little thing. Can sm be prevented?
    Lisa-Owner to tri colour female ClaraBow born 30-6-09