Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulling when walking - becoming a real problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling when walking - becoming a real problem.

Hi All.

Just wondered if anyone has a cavalier that pulls really bad when walking?

My 2 are terrible, to be fair though, Bluebell is worse than Lottie. They can pull me over and i have pulled so many muscles because of them pulling. She never walks right next to me, she is always leaning away, as far as the lead will stretch. I walked them this afternoon, and i have had a bad wrist for a couple of weeks now, well she has twisted it and it is really sore now. I thought i would post a message because it really is getting frustrating now, and then i get angry and tell her off and feel no one has had a good walk because of it.

I have tried so many different things, i am on the 3rd "no pulling" harness, i have also tried to walk her using her collar and i have also had her on a "gentle leader" (bit like a halti) - i didn't like using this as she obviously hated having it on her face, it does work, but she fusses a lot with it. So i haven't used it for a while. I have also tried several types of leads.

She is currently using a Pets at Home No Pull harness, but she still pulls, she is sooooo strong! It must look ridiculous when people see me trying to walk them. I do get funny looks from people and people have said they are walking me, not the other way around.

The other thing is, i am going in for an Op on my hip on 7th September, so my husband will be walking them until i get better, but when it comes round to walking them again, i don't want to be pulled a lot, and worse case scenerio, i fall over and un-do my Op.

I don't really want to go to classes to sort this out, but maybe i will have to. My 2 are larger cavaliers, Bluebell is really solid muscle, probably if i had smaller ones i wouldn't have this issue... here is a photo of the terrible 2....

Bluebell is on the right. Lottie is on the left.

I just don't know what to do...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma- Lots of people have this problem (including myself). You may have to resort to walking them separately for your safety & sanity. I find mine are angels when they are the "only", but when they are all walked together my two boys get this "pack" mentality and go crazy pulling, like they're trying to beat the other in some pretend race. If the no-pull harnesses don't work, you will have to work on training. And it is nearly impossible when walking more than one at a time. Good luck on your op!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IMHO that's a really useless design to stop a dog from pulling.

I'd order the Sense-ible no pull front clip harness -- a front clip harness makes an enormous difference. Walking them separately will likely help, as noted. This is a training issue that would be good to address as well, and you will need to put in daily time and have patience and work with each on her own. Ian Dunbar has advice on teaching a dog not to pull on dogstardaily.com -- I'd download the free copy of After You Get Your Puppy as it explains the approach or order one of his training books from Amazon in the UK.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your cavaliers look really lovely - as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths! One way of trying to train them (one at a time of course) is to start walking, and the moment they pull; Stop, they will look round wondering what is happening, as soon as the lead goes slack, praise her and set off again. It will only be a step or two, probably before she pulls again, stop and keep repeating -perseverence is the only way.

Your dog will eventually (I hope) get the message that they will go no-where when they pull. At first your walk will probably consist of 10 or 20 yards at most!! And if anyone is around they'll probably think your mad! Some dogs just do not seem to get the walking to heel though.

ps Forgot to say - I suggest you do this with them on a lead rather than a harness.
    Last edited by Yorkysue; 12th August 2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: to put in a ps

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Karlin;330249]IMHO that's a really useless design to stop a dog from pulling.QUOTE]

What does IMHO mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In my humble opinion.

More common net abbreviations:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/adkc.html

I would never see a back clip harness as being able to help much with pulling.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaah... thanks Karlin!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a no-pull harness like Karlin described where the leash attaches right in the middle of the front of their chests. It does help my bossy, bossy, pushy Daisy to not pull so hard, but even with that on, she's always as far out in front of me as possible and leading the way, but she's just not pulling very hard because it stops her from doing so. The only time she isn't way out in front is in the 2nd half of our walks when she's pooped out. And heaven help us if we spot another dog coming toward us anywhere along the way. Then she's basically a wild animal -- tugging, lunging, jumping, barking, spinning, etc. Very, very embarrassing and frustrating. I hate to say this, but I've basically given up on her ever walking on the leash like a lady.

Anyway, try everything that everyone has posted and hopefully something will work for you. In terms of just how hard they pull, though, I definitely saw a big immediate difference when we used the no-pull harness. (I'm not sure, but I think ours is called the EZ-Walk. It looks exactly like the Sense-ible one that Karlin recommmended. Ours is red and it has a burgundy colored strap that goes under her belly to help you make sense of the thing when you are trying to put it on.)

Good luck -- those two do look like they are plotting something! Cute little girls, though!

Post Thanks / Like

I have that one too. It is by Gentle Leader, and it's called the Easy Walk Harness. Available online and in some stores. It DOES help!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where you can buy the sense-ible harness in the UK?
    Leo pulls like an Ox at times and these sound ideal.

Mel