• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do any other SM dogs have these symptoms?

Sharon 7

Ever since Sophie was a tiny puppy she used to sit up and close her eyes, almost falling asleep sitting up. I put this down to just being a puppy and being tired all the time. She still does this now, I often wonder if she constantly has a headache?

Second odd thing, her saliva glands are almost always enlarged,she does a lot of gulping, her neuroligist said that she has seen this in some SM dogs and they produce too much saliva.

Does anyone elses dog have either of these symtoms?

Falling asleep ...............................

Yes, my bitch Lana will behave as described but normally its when in my arms or sat on my lap.

She also produces a lot of saliva but here's the good news.

She has been scanned twice - both clear, NO SM but has herniation.

So dont worry unduly.

Regards Mark.

Sharon, they might be or might not be, as you have a diagnosed dog- interesting that your neurologist believes enlarged salivary glands might appear as a sign in some dogs. It sounds like your neurologist is keeping an eye on whether these could be signs of pain, and would advise you if your meds needed changing for Sophie. If it isn't really bothering her I'd not worry too much. I know quite a few people believe that sleepy look may be a sign of headaches sometimes in their scanned and diagnosed dogs.

My sm dog also has sleepy looks too, but when he started his Gabapentin, I was told that it would make him sleepier - which it has. I didn't realise that this could be a sign of headaches, hopefully its just the meds.
On the subject of saliva glands, he often spits up what I can only describe as a watery saliva type of puddle. Sometimes this can be frothy with maybe one piece of undigested dog food, other times it seems to happen just after he has been drinking water, when it looks totally clear. The vet put him on Losec, 5mgs daily to help his tummy, but I don't think it has done much. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Last edited:
I was going to ask the same thing!

Over the last fortnight Ruby has started gulping ALOT its always when shes dozing and/or when she goes to bed. She has only been on the gabapentin for a month and normally i'll encourage her to have a drink which she is good with as she will normally respond when i ask her to 'water'.
I wondered myself if this was anything to do with her meds as with Cimetidine it reduces the fluid which Clare told me may cause her to drink alot more than usual and maybe become incontinent around the house- thankfully she is still clean around the house but I wonder if she has dry mouth and is just ignoring the need to drink. She doesnt drool excessively though- unless i am eating cheese or roast dinner!!! Well she drools when she feels nautious which isnt very often!
Ill ask the vet when we go for our check up this week!

My sm dog also has sleepy looks too, but when he started his Gabapentin, I was told that it would make him sleepier - which it has. I didn't realise that this could be a sign of headaches, hopefully its just the meds.
On the subject of saliva glands, he often spits up what I can only describe as a watery saliva type of puddle. Sometimes this can be frothy with maybe one piece of undigested dog food, other times it seems to happen just after he has been drinking water, when it looks totally clear. The vet put him on Losec, 5mgs daily to help his tummy, but I don't think it has done much. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Yes to the watery puddles of vomit, outside on the pavers, usually with a little grass mixed in.
She has also started pooping in my back room, my grandson sleeps in there (I mind him 4 days a week) I thought this might just be jealousy?
Sophie seems more sleepy eyed since being on Gabapetin also, and its only been a couple of weeks. I am so concerned, I don't know what to do. I am waiting on an answer from her nero.

Madison is 6 years old next week and she constantly looks like she is going to fall asleep sitting up. She looks like a little kid trying to fight going to sleep. I assume that she does not have SM although I have never had her scanned. She has no symptoms whatsoever, even though her half-sister Riley has an advanced and severe case. I think Madison just fights sleep for some reason - sleeps like a dream all night though. So it may not be related to Sophie's SM at all.

Lisa - if you look in the health library on this forum you will find a ton of information about SM. Karlin has done an absolutley amazing job of compiling the most up to date info. Just be aware that every dog is different and may display common symptoms or none of the typical ones. My Riley, who had SM surgery last year, had none of the typical symptoms. Her problems were more related to her vestibular system and caused her very severe imbalance problems. She also displayed a pronounced head tilt and some weakness in her rear legs. But she never seemed to be in pain, never scratched. Take a look at all the info that's in the library. You'll end up knowing more about SM than your vet probably knows!

Lisa - if you look in the health library on this forum you will find a ton of information about SM. Karlin has done an absolutley amazing job of compiling the most up to date info. Just be aware that every dog is different and may display common symptoms or none of the typical ones. My Riley, who had SM surgery last year, had none of the typical symptoms. Her problems were more related to her vestibular system and caused her very severe imbalance problems. She also displayed a pronounced head tilt and some weakness in her rear legs. But she never seemed to be in pain, never scratched. Take a look at all the info that's in the library. You'll end up knowing more about SM than your vet probably knows!

Hi thanks very much! Clara has weakness in her back paw and is always scratching her ears though she does have ear mites. I really do worry about every little thing. Can sm be prevented?

Hate to say it, but once you start down the SM path, you have a tendency to magnify every little thing that happens with your dog. You always wonder - is this too much scratching? Was her yelp of pain because I picked her up funny or is she always in pain? Is she quiet because of pain or because she's gotten weaker? You start to become hypervigilant and sometimes the line between being neurotic and just careful becomes very blurry. It's absolutely good to be aware and informed, but try not to obsess about every little behavior. There is no way to prevent SM from happening - except for breeders to follow scanning and breeding protocols and for pet owners to refuse to buy puppies or dogs from breeders who refuse to scan. Good luck.

Hi thanks very much! Clara has weakness in her back paw and is always scratching her ears though she does have ear mites. I really do worry about every little thing. Can sm be prevented?

Like others have said every dog is different. When Ruby was diagnosed our Neuro said she couldnt beleive she was displaying so few symptoms as it was advanced and her Syrinx vvery large.
Rubys symptoms were jut the scratching and head rubbing and my vet didnt think it was anything to worry about although I KNEW that something was wrong in my gut so referred myself and Ruby to clare who scanned us on the first visit and we were diagnosed there and then.
I know that some people give the diuretics early on with the symptoms and they have been found to have slowed down progression of the Syrinx but many dogs just have to managed for the pain and nothing is found to work with the syrinx.
Ruby is getting to the stage where the damage to her spine is causing her problmes with her co ordination and her front legs will often buckle and give up on her.
I think deep down that you should trust your gut instincts andif they are telling you something is wrong thwn follow it through.
If I had trusted myself sooner we may have had more time to slow her progression down rather than being left with last resort scenarios.

All the best
Karen and Ruby

Back