• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kirra goes to Vet - Monday

islewriter

Poor Kirra has not been too well over the weekend. She has had diarrhea throughout the weekend and during each evening have taken her outdoors on a regular basis.

I spoke with the vet today *Sunday* and he advised I bring her into the practice on Monday morning around 9am - we shall be there promptly.

Kirra has had fluid intake (albeit not as much - but still is drinking).

During the mornings she has been lethargic and then later in the afternoons has been more bouncy.

So as you can imagine Kirra has been receiving plenty of TLC and as I write this post, she is sleeping on the day bed.

So I hope Monday morning will bring about identifying the cause, in the past she has had the odd one or two diarrhea, and always cleared up later in the day, hence my concern over this bout as it has lasted throughout the weekend.

Wish Kirra well for her appointment please.

Hoping your appointment goes well tomorrow and Kirra is back to her bouncy self in no time.

Will keep Kirra in our thoughts and prayers.

In my diarrhea arsenal I have:

pedialyte - water with electrolytes (salts a bit of sugar) or Gatorade and a feeding syringe to squirt it in their mouths.
peptobismol, but I prefer Kaolin
probiotics
real natural yogurt
fastrack
nutrical or nutristat

Diarrhea with blood is bad.
I also usually have flagyl on hand for emergencies

Food isn't nearly as important as hydration. When they seem to be getting better, I feed them soft cooked rice and beef (mostly rice). If the dog doesn't have food allergies of course. Or you can try a soft cooked scrambled egg.

Good luck! My dogs always seem to become ill once the vets office is closed -- how do they know?

I hope everything goes ok tomorrow at the vets and that Kirra is back to her normal self real soon. Let us know how you got on tomorrow.

I do hope Kirra gets well soon & that her appointment goes well.plse let us know.:flwr:
Sandy i often ask myself how do they seem to get ill out of hours/on our vets day off!:xctly:

Good luck! My dogs always seem to become ill once the vets office is closed -- how do they know?

They often recover just enough to make you feel like a neurotic Mum as you turn up for your appointment.

No food at all for 24 hours is often the best thing for diarrhoea

Sending get well wishes to Kirra and hoping that she gets better quickly.
It's no fun when they are poorly, especially if it's on the weekend.
Please keep us posted :hug:

This diahorrea outbreak is doing the rounds on the island unfortunately. All of the dogs here have had it and it lasts anywhere from 24 hours to 72 hours. I hope Kirra is feeling better soon.

If you haven't electrolytes in your cupboard add quarter a teaspoon of salt and quarter a teaspoon of sugar to a pint of boiling water allow to cool and use that in place of drinking water.

Don't give anything milky or dairy produce and avoid feeding meat till it passes, some dogs will take porridge made with water.

Last edited:
Kirra - Update

Kirra and I arrived at the vets around 8.45am this morning. Both she and I had a good nights sleep *much needed for both of us* and she appeared her normal self, albiet with the diarrhea.

The vet gave a very good examination and he gave her an anti-biotic injection - she never made a murmur - so quiet - even the vet was admiring of her. :)

The vet also gave me the following:

* Lectade
* Synolux
* Pro-Kolin

Hopefully this should help her recovery and she is only on fluids for today and possibly tomorrow.

Both Kirra and 'I' would like to Thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to respond as well as your kind thoughts and good wishes.

Very much appreciated. :)

It’s a good sign that Kirra managed to sleep through the night. Hope she is going to feel better soon.

Kirra - Update

Thanks everyone :) Kirra is improving and enjoyed at early morning walk and has just had a wee amount of rice (which I feel sure her expression - said "this is just a sample - right?). :rolleyes:

She continues to take her meds and anti-biotics.

As you can imagine I am so relieved of her continued recovery - as we all want to see our much loved companions in the best of health.

Every good wishes to you all and once again thank you so much. :)

Only catching up on this thread now, glad to hear Kirra is doing much better. Give her a bug hug from us :hug:

Back