• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where Should She Sleep?

LisaluvzCav

Hi I have a cavalier puppy thats 7 weeks old and I dont know where she should sleep at night time.The last few nights shes been sleeping in her bed in my bedroom but during the night she starts crying and tries to jump up to the bed to me. Where does your cavalier sleep? Please help

Lisa & Clara:thnx:

My 8 year old sleeps in his bed in my room, my 7 year old sleeps at the foot of my bed (in the bed though), the 6 and 2 year old sleep together in a crate in a different room. Each of my puppies was crate trained and slept in a crate in a different room from me until they were well over a year old. They may have whined or complained in some other way for one or two nights, but then adjusted beautifully. I put an old sheet over the top of the crate to make it more cozy.

If you crate train (which I strongly recommend) don't get one that's too big for her right now. Either get one that will work when she's full grown and block off part of it now, or buy a bigger one later. There have been times throughout all of my dogs lives that they have had to go back into the crate. For example, Oliver had abdominal surgery when he was three and Riley had SM surgery a year ago. Both of them used the crate for recovery and to keep my other dogs away from them. In my opinion, crate training a dog is a necessity for their comfort and security and your sanity as well!

Mine sleep on my bed but they all started in a crate. I foster cavs and although most end up in my bed they start in a crate also. It's great to have on had if they are sick and I don't want accidents on my bed or like LoveMyCav's said they need future surgeries which 3 of my 4 did.

I fostered a little puppy and she started in the crate and after a couple weeks ended up in my bed but she was so good. We made her a little bed between my husband and I and she slept there all night. It was the dead of winter and because she came from a puppy mill she was so tiny and cold. We also gave her a little puppy that Tara sent to her that could be heated in the microwave to keep her warm cuddly which helped.

i had charlie in a crate for about a hour of the night lol. he cried way to much so since the 1st day hes been sleeping in my bed lol :)

I used a crate for Holly until she was around 6 months old. Now she sleeps in the bed with us. When she was in the crate, I put it on my side of the bed, with her facing me. Like Terri mentioned, I used a little stuffed dog that had a rice pack inside (which I heated in the microwave before Holly went to bed). Holly came from a litter of seven, so I think her little toy puppy helped her feel not so alone.

I love having Holly in bed with us now. I also think it lets me sleep in a bit longer in the morning:eek:

I think i had Jelly in her crate next to me(as described by Tara:)) for a couple of weeks to begin with,she was smashing not a peep but Tillytommy had already crate trained her before she came to me(thanks TT:D)then she came in bed with Rubes & i & definatly sleeps later as a result:p

We started with Zoe in her bed in the front room the first night and she started crying so I moved her next to my bed and as long as I was touching her she was ok, then the next morning my boyfriend stuck her in bed with me. He did not want to share the bed with a dog but it is all his fault. She sleeps on my feet every night now, although when I'm not here she will take turns sleeping on my kids beds. Tyler (my boyfriend) keeps asking when she can sleep in her bed but she keeps my toes warm :rolleyes:
Osanna
Mom to Zoe (50% Cav, 50% mystery, 100% Perfect), and Chunk and step mom to Riley and Sushi. Plus mom to 2 kids and 2 bonus kids.

I think try the crate, it'll be her little den and create a nice secure place that she can call her own.Don't even dream of letting a puppy on the bed no matter how tempting it may be.It's a long way to fall and result in very serious injury.Enjoy your new puppy.
Sins:)

A crate is definitely the way to go. The first night we put our 8-week old puppy in it to sleep, we had to endure a ton of whining and mid-howls. But now, after a week, he willingly goes in for a nap now and then, or to just chew on his toy. At night we tire him out with games and play and at around 12 midnight he passes out. We then put him in his crate in the living room and retire to our bedroom. Typically the next we hear from him is some whining at 7-8am when he wants to be let out to pee/poop. He hasn't peed/pooped in his bed (in the crate) yet, so we're really grateful for that.

Agree- start with the crate. Once she's trained well, you can let her decide where she wants to sleep unless you have a preference. All of mine were crated as pups but now sleep wherever. Winn on the bed always, Casey always on the floor next to the bed, and Ollie sometimes on the bed and sometimes in the crate. Fosters all start in the crate until I know they're good in the house & get along with all the others, then in bed too! Unless they snore, then they stay in the crate. :rolleyes:

Another crate fan here. Mindy slept in her crate happily until she was about 1 1/2 and we moved. Then we got soft and let her sleep on our bed.;).

Max started in a crate in our room but I guess we all (dh, Mindy and I ) snore too much for him to get any sleep:eek:. He never slept through the night until I moved his crate downstairs. Then if he slept until 5 a.m. we let him come to bed with us for a cuddle. Rylie is an excellent sleeper and wouldn't be getting up until at least 6 if it weren't for Max. He sleeps downstairs with Max (in his own crate for now). Of course when Max gets up Rylie has to go pee. Although Max is happy to fall back to sleep with us Rylie is by then up and ready to play. :yikes. Today they both slept until 7 a.m. though:lotsaluv:

Sasha sleeps in our bed, and we love that!! She starts out at the foot of the bed, and by morning, she's curled up between our pillows.
I love having her sleep in the bed. :lotsaluv:

As a puppy, we tried the crate thing, but she cried and cried for 3 weeks. the night we finally tried putting her in our bed (due to total sleep deprivation), she slept for 10 hours straight!

Sasha sleeps in our bed, and we love that!! She starts out at the foot of the bed, and by morning, she's curled up between our pillows.
I love having her sleep in the bed. :lotsaluv:

As a puppy, we tried the crate thing, but she cried and cried for 3 weeks. the night we finally tried putting her in our bed (due to total sleep deprivation), she slept for 10 hours straight!

That is the way Anna was. She cried and cried and cried. So after 2 weeks of being in the crate at night next to my bed (actually my nightstand). She would sleep maybe an hour or two then need to go out or want to play, but once she was in bed laying next to me guess what? She will sleep until i get up in the morning at 9 am thats nine hoursish every night.....its amazing!!!

:*nana::jmp::rah:

I agree with the people that suggested starting with a crate. I tend to use the crate until they are reliably potty trained which is about 2 years old or so at least.

My 2 year old female sleeps on my bed, the corner of the bed, or she sleeps on the floor where she has a bed and my favorite robe that she just loves, or under the bed. She doesn't sleep on the bed unless I'm alone; if I'm sharing the bed with someone, she sleeps on the floor.

My puppy is crated every night. By the time it's bedtime, he's too tired to whine so he sleeps peacefully in his crate with his bear. It's a doodle bear pet and he uses it as a pillow but I used it to take up space and deter accidents. Titus didn't whine too much with the crate but that was because the breeder started crate training him before I got him. Stick it out if they cry because normally they will. I used to take him out just to make sure he wasn't crying to pee and then put him back up for the night. It's best that new puppy learns that the crate is a safe place or at the very least they're not getting out until they're quiet.

<3 good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy your puppy because soon it'll be grown.

Keep in mind that this is a very young puppy (much younger than a breeder would normally home a puppy...) and you will need to be taking her out once during the night -- probably around 3 or 4am, so be sure to set your alarm or she will soil her crate and this will cause housetraining issues long term. She is too young to try and hold herself through the night -- one of the reasons she may be crying is not to get in the bed but because she badly needs to be taken out for a wee and maybe a poop. (y) You will likely need to be taking her out for the first month or so of owning her.

I recommend buying Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining, which also is a guide to housetraining, and please be sure to download this excellent (and free!) guide by one of the best trainers on how to raise and train your puppy.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy

You can read it on your PC or print it out. You definitely will want such a thorough guidebook and manual and this one has the best possible way of gently training as she grows so you don't end up with problems later on. :)

From Dog Star Daily on Twitter:

Excellent info! RT @dogspelledfwd: Crate training your dog (with video) http://bit.ly/dsaZF

It IS a great guide to crate training. I especially like these clear points on when it is a great tool... when:

the dog is never physically forced into a crate
the crate is never used as a punishment
the crate is for short term confinement, it is not a way of life for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week

Our golden retriever slept in a crate until 1 1/2 years.She graduated to her bed.

Our 1 year old cavalier went from an extra small crate to a small crate ( she is only 13 lbs.) and still sleeps there. Both dogs are in a room next to our bedroom but not in it. They can hear us and we can also hear if they need to go out.

Heather R

Tristan sleeps in a crate next to my bed. He whined the first night he came home with me (he was 12 weeks old), but ever since then (he's now 7 months old) he's as quiet as a mouse all night!

I cuddle with him in my bed every evening while I watch TV or read a book, but at around 10:00 he gets up to go to his crate all by himself! When he's old enough that I trust him out all night, it'll be his choice if he wants to sleep on my bed or not, but he may want to keep sleeping in his little sanctuary! :)

Definitely get the crate - she should have her own spot just for her!

Back