Thread: Latest foster has daggers for nails...help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest foster has daggers for nails...help!

She has long nails and they are curling around. She's a B&T so I can't tell where the quick is...how far can I cut them? Should I do it in small increments, and will the quick recede? I have no experience with this, help!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tiny bits and probably a nile file would be good - its really hard on a b*t as their nails are sooo dark
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

I'l be interested in this answer too,im scared enough trying to do Rubys but Jellys i wouldnt attempt & have had the vet do them
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Too much of a fight for me to cut the girl claws and half of Chelsea's are black also. Have been taking them to Petco for grinding, cost about 10$, doing it about every 2-3 weeks as their quicks are very long and nails (which use to be shorter when they could scratch the fence) have gotten longer than I can work with by myslef.

Link grinding/sanding over clipping, no sharp edges.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I would have the Vet do them until they become manageable. Petsmart has walk in, no appointment necessary with proof of shots, but I prefer the Vet.
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor

Post Thanks / Like

Had the vet do them....thanks everyone! I was just too scared I'd nick the quick and I'd rather someone else be the "bad guy".
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin, I know how to do it and always do my own dogs nails, but I've never dealt with a dog whose were so overgrown- I was scared to death I'd hit the quick. I didn't know if the quick grew as long as the nail, or if it only went a certain length and then stopped?

Anyway, the vet cut them and no blood...now I can handle it from here!

Post Thanks / Like

For dogs that don't like having their nails done (or hair removed from between the pads), you can use a bit of homeopathic flower essence Rescue Remedy before and it really calms them down.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett