• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Latest foster has daggers for nails...help!

chloe92us

She has long nails and they are curling around. She's a B&T so I can't tell where the quick is...how far can I cut them? Should I do it in small increments, and will the quick recede? I have no experience with this, help!

Tiny bits and probably a nile file would be good - its really hard on a b*t as their nails are sooo dark

I'l be interested in this answer too,im scared enough trying to do Rubys but Jellys i wouldnt attempt & have had the vet do them

Too much of a fight for me to cut the girl claws and half of Chelsea's are black also. Have been taking them to Petco for grinding, cost about 10$, doing it about every 2-3 weeks as their quicks are very long and nails (which use to be shorter when they could scratch the fence) have gotten longer than I can work with by myslef.

Link grinding/sanding over clipping, no sharp edges.

I would have the Vet do them until they become manageable. Petsmart has walk in, no appointment necessary with proof of shots, but I prefer the Vet.

Had the vet do them....thanks everyone! I was just too scared I'd nick the quick and I'd rather someone else be the "bad guy".

Thanks Karlin, I know how to do it and always do my own dogs nails, but I've never dealt with a dog whose were so overgrown- I was scared to death I'd hit the quick. I didn't know if the quick grew as long as the nail, or if it only went a certain length and then stopped?

Anyway, the vet cut them and no blood...now I can handle it from here! ;)

For dogs that don't like having their nails done (or hair removed from between the pads), you can use a bit of homeopathic flower essence Rescue Remedy before and it really calms them down.

Back