• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Throwing Up about once a week

For the past 6-8 weeks, our 19 month old Cav has been throwing up about once a week or so. She is eating fine, and the throwing up is NOT right after eating. Today, she threw up about 6 hours after eating breakfast, but it looked like most of her breakfast coming back up.

She is eating fine, and doesnt seem to be sick at all. She still plays normally with her usual vigor. We haven't changed diet - she eats Nutro Ultra, and has since birth. She gets few treats, and when she does, they are high quality doggie treats - none of the cheap corn junk.

I've read this could be anything from food allergy to bowel blockage to cancer. I'm a people doc myself, and it just doesn't make sense that it could be a blockage to me, or it would be more frequent than this. I am also reassured that she is still eating and doesn't act sick. It has gone on long enought that I plan to take her to the vet this week just to make sure. However, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what was wrong.

Thanks

Hi there,
Is she perhaps eating things off the ground when you walk her, or perhaps munching on something nasty in your garden? Sometimes if they are only sick occasionally it's because they have a little stash. I found out that our girl was returning to a dead frog that was tucked behind bushes in the garden.....not good to nibble on, especially when she already has a sensitive tum. If you think it might be something like that, remember to keep up to date with worming.
Can't think why else it might only occur about once a week. Have you checked her vomit for bits of plant or grass? Someone will be on here later with advice, I'm sure. :)

I've just been down this road with my 7 year old, Jake. But his vomitting was more often. He'd do it every day or every other day for about 6 days, then it was twice a day one day and the day he did it 3 times we went to the vet. Did x-rays (no blockage), did bloodwork (nothing unusual) and finally ultrasound since the vomitting continued after the anti-nauseau injection. Ultrasound didn't show anything either. I started him on a diet of white fish/potato/yam for a solid week with anti-nauseau meds for 5 days and a stomach coater for 7 days. After the 1st week he graduated to chicken and rice and after that began to integrate his regular food (Primal raw) back into his diet. It's been over 3 weeks and he's never thrown up again. No clue as to what was causing it. Jake's may have been emotional (my household was in emotional turmoil and I think he picked that up from me) and that's how he reacted. I had never given his tummy a chance to completely cleanse.

Let us know what your vet says. We were very much in the same boat. No new food, acting totally normal, good appetite, etc.

This happened to my girl a few months back for about four weeks, once a week maybe twice, she was getting sick. I brought her to the vet and she went on i/d food for a few days and some tablets similar to human motillium. It cleared up whatever it was!

Back