• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bailey keeps scratching...

kimy27

Bailey seems very itchy and keeps scratching at her side. At first I was very worried that she was showing signs of SM but it seems to be just in this particular place that she is itchy. Her fur is also very wet in this area as she keeps licking/chewing at it. It is making her very agitated. I have checked the area and the skin doesn't seem to be dry..

Anyway she has an appoinment with the vet this evening but I thought I would run it past you guys first to see if you had any ideas of what this could be?

Last edited:
The usual things to check for would be fleas, flea dermatitis, mites, a hot spot, another skin condition, allergies. However this type of scratching is also a possibility with SM as they tend to have particular areas that are itchy -- my two SM dogs scratch at their sides like this. The best approach is to do as you are doing -- get in to your vet and have her checked out. There are many other likely causes then SM. (y) Let us know how your visit goes and and if you find any immediate answers.

Thanks Karlin. I don't think she has fleas but I'd take anything over it being SM :( I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck at the vets.
When my Rosie started scratching like mad I thought the worse but it turned out to be an allergy she only gets from May/June to about August then she is ok again.

Just back from the vet with Bailey and the vet seems to think she has a skin allergy. We have come home with antibiotics, steroids and a medicated shampoo.

I have to say though that the vet didn't exactly fill me with confidence. When I asked her about the possibility of SM she couldn't even pronounce it! When I asked if she had seen any Cavies with SM she said that she had but it's not that common and the dogs that do have it do very well on medication. She didn't mention anything about MRI scans.

I am hoping that Bailey does have a skin allergy but I will be keeping a close eye on her and if the medication doesn't seem to be working I may have to look into other options.

Back