• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very Sick Dog

Shivers

I have a very very sick dog on my hands. Bad bad diarrhoea since yesterday and today when I got home from work there were 2 pools of watery blood and also blood clots on the kitchen floor.
Rang vet who can see us tonight or tomorrow, frantically trying to organise a lift before they close this evening.
Let them out the back briefly to go to the toilet and there was another bloody pool left. Really worried now.

Does anybody have any experience of something like this happening? I have been fasting both of them since yesterday but it hasnt even eased off at all.

At least I am off work the next 4 days to get them sorted.

I would really try to get to a vet tonight...if your vet can't see you I would find one who can this sounds very serious, if you have no way to get there would your vet come to you at the end of appointments?

Hope you can get this sorted soon...let us know how you get on.

Hope you can get there today. Definitely needs vet attention ASAP. Haven't any experience with this :xfngr: but have seen this mentioned on board. Thoughts with you to get this settled.

God Siobhan I hope everything is ok with them. I agree with everyone else, I wouldnt leave this go til tomorrow. keep us posted and good luck.

Definitely the vet must see the dogs tonight.
Daisy has had gastroenteritis but nothing that matches the description that you've just posted.If you have to call out the vet then do.
Sins

Sounds like Gastro.The poos smell funny,what i mean is ,it wont smell like normal poos.Blood in there as well def.sounds Gastro.Its going around .Starve and only water.Till vet has seen him.Temp prob.up as well....

Aww that sounds terrible. Poor baby. Hopefully you can get to the vet tonight. Let us know how it goes.

I hope you get a lift tonight, if not, I'd start knocking on neighbours doors. I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Will be worried for you all evening now so please let us know what's happening :hug:

Sounds like Haemorrhagic Gastroenteritis and needs veterinary attention immediately, even if it means an emergency callout.
Good luck

HI, ive just been thru this,this last week. my dog who is 5 years old, went to have his teeth cleaned and 2 front teeth out last wednesday first time going under. Op on the Wed then on Fri evening had diar. and blood loss, took him to vet on sat morning on antiibiotics and some sort of paste, hes started eating now after 3 days, was diag. with colitis. had blood coming from him last Feb but wasn't as bad as this. he is now going onto James Beloved food, we have to work out what causes this. i think stress might have caused it.

Take him to the vet but dont worry too much it looks like cav's have sensitive stomaches. he was loosing so much blood over 48 hours every 20 mins, but he is eating and being the happy dog he was before now, we just need to keep a record of what he eats now to try and work it out.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I would definitely be worried at the first sign of blood - especially blood clots :eek:
Did you manage to get to your vets before they closed? If not, maybe you could travel to the emergency vets at UCD? They are open throughout the night. Please PM if you need help with transport, Im on holidays at the moment and would be only too happy to help with transport if you needed it :flwr:

Sounds like Haemorrhagic Gastroenteritis and needs veterinary attention immediately, even if it means an emergency callout.
Good luck

I agree with Ruth. HGE can be very serious and maybe an IV drip will be required. I hope you got down to the vets this evening and that all is well.

By the way, 2 of mine have had it over the past couple of years; both had a hospital stay of 2-3 days on a drip, but recovered well.

Hi Siobhan have you any news,did you get to the vets? I really hope you did as others have mentioned HGE,my girl had a virus with a lot of blood loss & was on a drip 4 days& nights. Plse let us know asap,fingers crossed alls well

so sorry to hear your baby is poorly, is there any update?

keeping everything crossed for a speedy recovery

Let us know how it went -- agree that it sounds like Haemorragic gastroenteritis and generally with blood like that you want to see a vet immediately. This can sometimes be a fatal condition if not treated right away in some cases, eg if it has been allowed to really take hold, so erring on the side of caution is always best. It can come on very quickly and without warning -- if it is any concern at all, they will keep the dog in, put him on a drip, give him an injection to settle his tummy and start on antibiotics. If the dog is generally fine in himself then will let him go home but with an injection and antibiotics and special diet for a few days.

Lily gets this now and then and manages OK -- but every case is different. It can be from something they ate. It tends to look worse than it often is but a vet needs to make that determination and if there's a lot of blood I'd always get the dog in immediately.

Hope the dogs are OK -- if for any reason you cannot get to a vet make sure the dogs are kept hydrated as it is dehydration that causes the serious problems.

If your vet got a good description from you of what was going on, and was not too concerned to see them immediately, then s/he probably gauged that the condition wasn't extremely urgent -- but you will feel better if you get them in. Also vets can make the wrong call. So I would always try to get in with this problem if it has progressed to that level of blood in the stool.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the messages. Went to the vet first thing this morning. It was Belle who was sick (as I suspected) and the vet said it was most likely colitis or a similar gastric infection. She gave Belle a shot of antibiotics and something to settle her stomach but said her temp was not up so she didnt think it was too severe. She is on a course of antibiotics for a few days, a paste stuff to bind her poos and coat her somach and a solution for today to make sure she is well hydrated. She already seems a bit perkeier and she has has just done a firmer looking poo so hopefully we are on the road to recovery now.

On a positive note Prince has lost another 7 lbs since he was last weighed in March and he now weighs 22 lbs approx. The vet checked him over today as well and he is not showing any signs of having Belle's bug so thats good as well

That's great news. I so happy she seems to be on the mend :)

And well done to Prince. I wish I could lose 7lbs :D

Very good news Siobhan and you have done phenomenal work with Prince! Bet he misses being plump though -- Lily sure does! :lol:

Back