Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How NOT to teach your dog to come!

Post Thanks / Like

My trainer always stresses that "COME" should be for something positive. Never, ever negative. When it is time to crate, I use "crate", if it is time for the dogs to go to the family room where they are separated from the rest of the house with a barrier, it is "pen". For baths, meds, brushing, nails, etc. I just go and pick up the dogs without saying anything. "Crate" ALWAYS comes with treats. "Come" from the backyard is treated sometimes and sometimes not. If the dogs respond to "come" when they are barking at the neighbor's dog, it always comes with jackpot treats.

Another thing people do wrong, is to spank their dogs when they catch them after door dashing. That sends the message...don't get caught.

J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

Good thoughts Jay. I never really thought about it but when I want the dogs to go to their crates I say "time to go night-night" (where they going happily since they get a dab of Petzlife gel) for bedtime or if I have to crate them to leave the house it's "go to your crate" and they know they are getting a treat. I know you're only supposed to use one word....but I can't help it

Definitely on not reprimanding the dog for dashing....it does say don't get caught next time.

Our trainer said she puts notes in various places in the house; kitchen cupboard "so and so....sit", medicine cabinet "so and so...lay", closet "so and so....stay" as reminders to vary things.

We tend to want to yell and grab them up (out of fright) but the dog is certainly not going to be in any hurry to run back to you next time if he is met with a stern punishment
    Applies to kids too I had my friend's twins over, they disappeared, I couldn't find them anywhere and was getting desperate, screaming their names....my tone of voice scared them so bad they hid from me. I learned that lesson.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

growing up we had a dog that used to hate baths. i mean hated getting bathed, but one day my dad said do you wanna bath like a punishment and she ran into the bath tub waiting for us to turn the water on...i found the post comical but accurate!

Post Thanks / Like

that's a good reminder
    he comes to me in the house and occasionally on his leash walk..but getting him to come to me in the yard is much more difficult, how do i accomplish this when he is so distracted?

he ran through the open gate twice to the front and i got scared and chased him yelling come!....i was afraid he'd run into the street but he made it as far as the sidewalk when i threw the leash at him and grabbed him. i scolded him...but i guess i should praise him for stopping?

Post Thanks / Like

The thing to remember is when ever you praise or scold a dog they associate it with what they were doing when you praised or scolded them. So while you were scolding the dog for running out of the yard, your dog's interpretation is "I am being scolded for stopping and having my leash put on". In that case, I would have praised the dog for waiting.

I have one dog who is a major door dasher and unfortunately, when she attempts a great escape, the other three follow. Each of my four have different degrees of recall. In the park where we train week after week, they have virtually 100% recall. We have practiced over and over IN THAT SITUATION and my main door dasher, Sapphire, will come to me even if she is off leash and chasing the ravens that frequent the park. In the front yard, I couldn't get her to come to me to save either her or my life. Soooo..... with her especially we are working on "stays" at the front door. All the dogs must sit quietly and politely before they are allowed out the front door. It can take up to five minutes to get out the door sometimes especially with all four. I am also working on recall in the front yard.

Starting with a short leash, you call your dog and step backwards. As they come, you treat and praise. Do this in different parts of the yard. As they get better you can use long lines or connect several leashes together to make long lines. I have 25 foot long lines that I use for training. We have also trained our dogs to come to a whistle. The whistle works great in the backyard when the dogs are barking at the neighbor's dog. When the dogs recall to the whistle, they always get jackpot treats.....lots of treats.

What I also found is that Sapphire, who is my most active dog, needed an outlet so we started her in agility which has really helped curb the dashing.

I know she will never be reliable 100% so we are careful to "pen" the dogs in the family room when bringing in groceries. Sapphire can also climb over the pen when motivated so we are extra careful whenever the front door is open. We don't have many guests, but the dogs are penned in the family room when we know company is coming or if we need to open the door for deliveries.
    J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire