• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Arthritis

edel

My cav has been diagnosed with arthritis in her front left leg. I suspected as much for a while because after sitting or lying for a while, she would get up and limp around, very reluctant to put weight on her leg. When I took her to the vet he gave her a course of 7 injections, I dont know what they were exactly but presumably to help her condition. He also gave me joint supplements for her to take every day.

All these have helped for a while but Ive noticed that slowly she is starting to be getting stiff again and I think its coming back again.

What do I need to do to help the problem? Is this a common problem witn cavaliers?

How old is she? It is common in older dogs, but if she is younger, I might look for a second opinion. Fish oils and glucosamine can help -- there are dog vitamins that have one or both. I use a squirt of salmon oil a few times a week and give my oldie an arthritis vitamin. If it is really bad you'll need to talk through options with your vet -- some dogs are helped with rimadyl for example.

She will be 5 in January so still relatively young. She has always had weight issues though which I know doesnt help the situation. She has been on a diet now for a while and it helps but she will literally eat anything.:roll:

The problem also seems to be exacerbated in the winter, presumably because of the cold/damp weather. So in relation to the supplements etc can you give me the brand name of them and where I can get them.

Thanks a mill

I buy Arthrit-UM plus but there are lots and lots of brands and types. The local pet shop will likely have a range of things and Zooplus sells some for example. But if your vet gave you joint supplements then you are already using something -- you shouldn't overload a dog on supplements as that can be unhealthy and cause problems in itself. I'd talk to your vet for suggestions perhaps. Getting weight off will help. You can also buy heating pads for dogs and heated beds etc which can help.

Previcox is also used to treat arthritis and I believe it is less "harsh" on the system than Rimadyl, though you still have to have bloodwork done every 6 months to check the liver function.

Back