Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limping issue

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Harley has h/d, the only way to know is to get the leg xrayed, cavaliers are as prone to it as much as bigger dogs, they just dont make a fuss.
    Harley has glucomine, chrondrotin, and lipped mussel supplements, dont ask me if they make a difference i cant say they do, and also 10mg of rimadyl a day also keep they as light as possible, harley had to go on a weight reduction programme and seems a lot better since. If i can help further pm me if you want. Is he insured xrays are about 100 di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is probably a long shot but have you looked into luxating Patella? I'm a complete novice when it comes to Cavs as Izzie is my first but she's had some limping in her back leg and it sounds pretty similar to Jacksons condition. I took her to the vet and he says its her knees... Just a thought?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarahso View Post
    sorry to hear about jackson.

i have no advice to offer, im not sure on HD at all, but one of our dogs Thor has pretty much similar symptoms, but in addition he also sometimes out of the blue his front paw almost collapses, he has fell flat on his face or just stumbled with this.

after many many tests & x rays for a variety of things in his first 12 months we are still non the wiser - he started as a young pup with this, he is still on occasion doing this. our vet has said it could possibly be neurological. Thor was also put on Rimadol & that seemed to ease it, but it always comes back. we decided not to put him through any more tests as like Jackson he is not in pain with it.
    Have you continued with the painkiller?

I don't like saying this, and obviously all other possible causes need to be investigated first, but limping when getting up is something that two of my SM dogs will do on occasions.
    Stumbling can also be a syringomyelia sign as it suggests there is a degree of weakness in the leg.

I know it may be hard to accept, but if your dog is limping and stumbling there must be some pain and weakness for it to happen. Sound, healthy, dogs do not do that.
    Our cavaliers can be very brave little dogs. They can sometimes be living with considerable discomfort that they cannot tell you about.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Margaret on this as a possible SM symptom.
    I wonder is he feeling a tingling sensation, like we would experience pins and needles, this could cause a limp/weakness when he gets up. This sensation is also believed to be what some dogs with SM feel, for instance when they air scratch. My little ruby, Bosco, often experiences this discomfort, but he is very stoic and never complains

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know Thor is an akita so probably not SM unless he had a trauma injury early on.

If he was a cavalier or other susceptible breed I'd have checked for SM too with recurrent limping an leg weakness.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, didn't realise that he was not a cavalier.

I do believe that there is always a reason for odd symptoms, and they do signify some degree of discomfort, even if no reason is easily identified.

I use to wonder why one of my little japanese chins would keep slightly shifting on one back leg when I showed him. Eventually it occurred to me it was similar to what I do when standing still, it is a way of relieving painful joints.

I asked my vet to check Benny's back legs. X-rays showed he has HD, a very unusual finding in such a small breed.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a bit of confusion here, the initial post is about Jackson, a cavalier who has unexplained limping, with additional input about Thor, an akita.

Post Thanks / Like

My dtr's dog, not a Cav but a low-rider mix, often would limp a bit when she first walked after sleeping. When ortho vet examined her he said her patella was slipping.
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday