• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

harley wound wont heal

harleyfarley

You might remember Harley was bitten a while ago and the wound was treated and it all scabbed over nicely, then the scab fell off but it bled slightly again, scabbed over and on and on. I now thing harley is either pulling the licking the scab off overnight, last night it looked very good, a good clean hard scab but it wasnt lifting at all so still a while to go, this morning the scab has gone and the wound is open again, doesnt bleed much but is pink and flesh like, his coat is growing back and getting stuck to the wound to, im loathed to take him back to the vets. di

I would just run him back to the vets,just for piece of mind,if its not healing something could get in to the wound.

I'd trim the hair around the wound so it isn't getting stuck to it - that is not going to help the healing. I know you will want his coat to grow back but it won't take that long.

It does sound like Harley is taking the scab off - you might need to find some way to prevent this, the pink skin is where it isn't yet ready to be exposed to the air.

Maybe just 'phone the vets to be on the safe side?

T-shirts!

Hi there,

I don't know where the wound in question is but, the best thing I have found to stop a dog from getting at a wound is a doggie t-shirt (or a kiddie one you can get easily and cheaply enough from charity shops.) I've never had to resort to one of those lampshade collars yet!

It is definatley a good idea to get Harley to the vet. He might need some anti-biotic cover just to be on the safe side.

Hope he gets better soon

Lady C

Back