• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy farms

Kate H

September 19 is National Puppy Farm Awareness Day in the UK. I would like to do something locally to make the public more aware of the problem. So far I've thought of putting up posters and handing out information leaflets at our local pet shop (which doesn't sell puppies, and the owners are good friends who would be very supportive). Anyone got any other ideas?

Kate, Oliver and puppy farm rescue Aled

I have a boarding kennels/puppy farm broker in the next road from me, they now have 2 Cavaliers and I pray they are not breeding them. It's a BIG frustration to me. I'd like to do something. I'll admit a few years ago, before I ever owned a dog, their advert of "puppies always available" was tempting. I only escaped not getting a pup from them as I decided to sleep on it and my mum was on the phone first thing the next morning before I made that dreadful mistake. She explained that you must see the parents of a pup etc. Now I'm not stupid but I was totally oblivious to the notion of puppy farms. I think people need education on how to find a good breeder and how seriously horrendous puppy farms are. These points on a flier would be good I think. It wasn't until recently it was pointed out to me that puppy farm bitches are bred when they are too old, I had no idea and it's the same for many of the public I'm sure.

Thanks for pointing out 19th September as National Puppy Farm Awareness Day.

That's great that there's an awareness day. Are organisations like the RSPCA making any materials available to people? Fliers and posters are a good idea. I think the RSPCA had set up a specific puppy farm site last year?

Puppy mills

We found out this weekend that Darwin was from a puppy mill .. as he'd already stole our hearts we couldn't not adopt him .. please everyone pray that he'll be free from the usual puppy mill ailments as it'll break our hearts to lose him.

Christine xx

The Puppy Farm Awareness Day is the brainchild of vet Marc Abraham - the one who was on that Channel 5 news item on puppy farms. He's organising the World's Biggest Puppy Party on 19 September at Brighton Race Course - trying for the Guinness Book of Records! There's a Fun Dog Show, demonstrations, stalls etc, etc, and lots of information on finding a healthy puppy NOT from a puppy farm. Sounds a good day out for people in the south east. But he's keen for people in other areas to publicise the plight of puppy farm dogs.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

At very least people could write to their local paper asking for them to flag up the fact that September 19th is National Puppy Farm Awareness Day.
Also a letter or email to the Kennel Club asking them to stop registering puppy farm dogs may encourage them to think about their part in this problem.

Back