Thread: A little advice on Gaberpentin please . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little advice on Gaberpentin please . . . .

As I mentioned in a previous post Ruby is on Gaberpentin 100mg x 2 times daily - so far, so good.... We have just got back from a holiday in the Lakes and Ruby was a star fell walker ! Through fast flowing becks, up crags and just loving her packed lunch at the top !!! Anyway we notice that 6 hours after giving her, her Gaberpentin she can get really sensitive to touch on her left side again and starts to air guitar ( no where near as much as she has done pre Gaberpentin) so I just spoke to Martin at Chestergates and he said to increase her dose to x 3 daily. I meant to ask him if it is imperative that they are meticulously spaced 8 hours apart or would it be ok if the afternoon and evening one were only 6 1/2 hours apart ? Does anyone have experience of this please ?

Ruby's checks 3 weeks ago at Chestergates gave the all clear on bloods and Liver which was good In October they are going to try to withdraw her from the Frusimide - not too sure why so I must check on that before they do when I go back.

Just back from a walk with Ruby along the coastal path and we got caught in a torrential downpour - we came home and I bathed her in her Lavender and Mint doggy shampoo and then blow dried her all fluffy ( Ruby is long haired but she has a regular hygiene clip). Once she was all dry and cosied up in her basket I realised I was still soaked and drippy haired - infact my clothes are soaking wet in a pile at the front door - Love is - drying your doggy before yourself !!!

Dawn x and Princess Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

Well she is "Princess" Ruby so we'd expect nothing less from you It's clear to see you adore her.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Can you advise me Pauline?? I know Dylan is on Gaberpentin, are you strict with the 8 hours apart ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Although it is obviously best to give gabapentin at regular intervals, I have found that it is possible to give Tommy a tablet one or two hours earlier, or even later, on occasions when I have needed to be out when his pills are due.

I know that some cavaliers have as much as 200 mg every eight hours so there is not likely to be a danger of overdosing
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Margaret x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default I posted a similer topic a week ago

Hi

My ruby is on Gabapentin 3 x 100mg a day and i have noticed that if I am late giving her her tablet she does suffer with head rubbing and really perpetual scratching where she groans and groans whilst scratching. I try as best I can to stick to every 8 hrs. 7am, 3pm and 11pm but where I work shifts sometimes it can be slightly off.
    As Karlin said to me it does wear off after 7-8 hrs so it is quite possible that they suffer a bit if it isnt given consistently!
    Hope this helps, I feel for you and hope you Ruby is doing OK- my thoughts are with you both x

karen and (another) RUBY!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    As others have said i try to give at regular 8hours but its not always exactly that & i see her scratching is more then, my (yet another!)Ruby is always worst on a morning,i give her a tablet as soon as we get up then take the girls out so Rubes has gone from midnight since last tablet& as we go out the new one hasnt had time to get into her system.I keep this the shortest walk of the day but if anyone has any ideas to help her on a morning id be happy to hear(We dont have a garden)
    "Love is..drying your doggy first" Lol oh so true!
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would not want to suggest any thing without people checking with their vet, but Tommy was originally prescribed carprodyl ( rimadyl ) with his gabapentin.
    He was weaned off the carprodyl but I do give him a tablet very occasionally if he seems to be having a bad day, or if I need to tide him over a gap of more than eight hours between gabapentin tablets
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Thank you for all your replies and advice - I will ask Martin Dutschland about Rimadyl for such occasions - Thank you Margaret. We started Ruby on her 3 a day yesterday so we will wait and see how she goes!

Rather than running off when I get her harness for a walk, she now wags her tail and sits for it to be put on - She has always loved 'walkies' itself but not the harness going on - interesting .... She also rarely bunny hops on her walks - and the long fell walking we did last week (hours and hours) she was just like a pup - no problems whatsoever ( although most was off lead)

Such an unpredictable condition SM - from one day to the next.

~Thank God for this wonderful support forum ~

Dawn x and Ruby