• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A little advice on Gaberpentin please . . . .

dizzy

As I mentioned in a previous post Ruby is on Gaberpentin 100mg x 2 times daily - so far, so good.... We have just got back from a holiday in the Lakes and Ruby was a star fell walker ! Through fast flowing becks, up crags and just loving her packed lunch at the top !!! Anyway we notice that 6 hours after giving her, her Gaberpentin she can get really sensitive to touch on her left side again and starts to air guitar ( no where near as much as she has done pre Gaberpentin) so I just spoke to Martin at Chestergates and he said to increase her dose to x 3 daily. I meant to ask him if it is imperative that they are meticulously spaced 8 hours apart or would it be ok if the afternoon and evening one were only 6 1/2 hours apart ? Does anyone have experience of this please ?

Ruby's checks 3 weeks ago at Chestergates gave the all clear on bloods and Liver which was good :) In October they are going to try to withdraw her from the Frusimide - not too sure why so I must check on that before they do when I go back.

:dogwlk:Just back from a walk with Ruby along the coastal path and we got caught in a torrential downpour - we came home and I bathed her in her Lavender and Mint doggy shampoo and then blow dried her all fluffy ( Ruby is long haired but she has a regular hygiene clip). Once she was all dry and cosied up in her basket I realised I was still soaked and drippy haired - infact my clothes are soaking wet in a pile at the front door - Love is - drying your doggy before yourself !!! :l*v:

Dawn x and Princess Ruby :paw:

Well she is "Princess" Ruby so we'd expect nothing less from you ;) It's clear to see you adore her. :lotsaluv:

Can you advise me Pauline?? I know Dylan is on Gaberpentin, are you strict with the 8 hours apart ???

Although it is obviously best to give gabapentin at regular intervals, I have found that it is possible to give Tommy a tablet one or two hours earlier, or even later, on occasions when I have needed to be out when his pills are due.

I know that some cavaliers have as much as 200 mg every eight hours so there is not likely to be a danger of overdosing

I posted a similer topic a week ago

Hi

My ruby is on Gabapentin 3 x 100mg a day and i have noticed that if I am late giving her her tablet she does suffer with head rubbing and really perpetual scratching where she groans and groans whilst scratching. I try as best I can to stick to every 8 hrs. 7am, 3pm and 11pm but where I work shifts sometimes it can be slightly off.
As Karlin said to me it does wear off after 7-8 hrs so it is quite possible that they suffer a bit if it isnt given consistently!
Hope this helps, I feel for you and hope you Ruby is doing OK- my thoughts are with you both x

karen and (another) RUBY!

Hi,
As others have said i try to give at regular 8hours but its not always exactly that & i see her scratching is more then, my (yet another!)Ruby is always worst on a morning,i give her a tablet as soon as we get up then take the girls out so Rubes has gone from midnight since last tablet& as we go out the new one hasnt had time to get into her system.I keep this the shortest walk of the day but if anyone has any ideas to help her on a morning id be happy to hear(We dont have a garden)
"Love is..drying your doggy first" Lol oh so true!

I would not want to suggest any thing without people checking with their vet, but Tommy was originally prescribed carprodyl ( rimadyl ) with his gabapentin.
He was weaned off the carprodyl but I do give him a tablet very occasionally if he seems to be having a bad day, or if I need to tide him over a gap of more than eight hours between gabapentin tablets

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies and advice - I will ask Martin Dutschland about Rimadyl for such occasions - Thank you Margaret. We started Ruby on her 3 a day yesterday so we will wait and see how she goes!

Rather than running off when I get her harness for a walk, she now wags her tail and sits for it to be put on - She has always loved 'walkies' itself but not the harness going on - interesting .... She also rarely bunny hops on her walks - and the long fell walking we did last week (hours and hours) she was just like a pup - no problems whatsoever ( although most was off lead)

Such an unpredictable condition SM - from one day to the next.

~Thank God for this wonderful support forum ~

Dawn x and Ruby :paw:

Back