• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where's the hair?

jankal

Hi,

I have two cavs. One is 10 months and the orther is nine months. The older female, a mismarked ruby, has beautiful feathering on her legs, ears, underbody and tail. The younger male, a bleinheim, has barely any feathering and the hair on his body is short. Should I give him some sort of supplement?

They are still just puppies and they are actually likely to lose a lot of their existing coat around now to 12 months. Also only some dogs have a heavy coat with full feathers and some take a long long time to come in (eg two years or more). Blenheims also overall tend to be less hairy than darker colours. Males tend to get coats at a slower pace than girls as well. I have a very fullcoated blenheim and one with quite short body hair and light feathering -- how an adult dog will look depends on the genes in those lines s/he inherited. So you will just have to wait and see, but really normally they are barely getting any feathering at the ages yours are. (y)

Our Elvis pretty well blew his coat earlier this year at 3YO. He was slow to fill out in the first place, but had a beautiful coat for right about a year... then poof! Seems to be coming back now, but slowly. His tail still looks like a lion... a patch of hair at the end. :( Beauregard is just as hairy as ever.

Back