Thread: Questions for those that titer...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions for those that titer...

I have a few questions for those people that choose to titer their dogs for parvo/distemper/rabies as opposed to vaccinate: how often do you titer them? Every year?

I had the boys titered for parvo/distemper and sent the samples in to Jean Dodds at HemoPet a few months ago. The results came back, and they are very protected. I thought HemoPet said I only have to titer test every 3 years...is this right? I would have thought every year, just to be safe. What does everyone else do?

Also, do you ever titer for rabies (those in the US)? I don't know if the rabies titer is acceptable here, although I don't really care so much about the legality, I'd rather titer than get them injected for something they don't need...what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Carrie
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.caberfeidh.com/HHC.htm <--- This web site is a good read, and doing some "Googling" will help also. I have found a lot of information that way, and will continue to read up. I still have six months before I have to make the decision to titer or not for our puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

I titer when vaccines are "due". I have titered for rabies-6yr.old rescue who had never had vaccine previous to "1" yr vaccine at 6-titered her for rabies at age 8 and she was completely protected.(Reason I titered then was that I was being queried as to why I hadn't had her in for "3" year vaccine at 7 yr.-all so bogus,i.e. no difference between the 1 & 3 yr vaccine)

Had emailed Dr. Schulz-involved with Rabies Challenge and this was his email back:

The antibody titers on both of your dogs are excellent (protective). If you send these same samples in the future (not more often than every 3 years), you need not be concerned about the titers for CPV-2 unless they fall to 20 or lower and don't worry about CDV unless it falls to 4 or lower R.D. Schultz
    The CPV-2 is the Parvovirus HI Titer- Freckles ("due" for vaccine) was 160
    The CDV is the Distemper Virus VN Titer-Freckles ("due" for vaccine) was 32
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

I titered every 3 years (twice now) and now will not titer anymore. At 6 and 7 years old my two will not be vaccinated again. I titered for rabies as well (not accepted in CA in place of vaccinations, did it for my own info) and both were protected. I will no longer vaccinate for rabies either. I sent my registration into the City, they wrote back and wanted updated proof of rabies, I didn't send it (didn't do it!!), they cashed my check.....we are licensed as far as I'm concerned. With my future dogs I will do the puppy shots, 1 year vaccine, titer at 4 and never vaccinate again.

Don't get my wrong....I'm not against vaccinating....I'm against "boostering". It serves no purpose. I am extremely firm on this and can't be convinced otherwise .

Waldor - good website and one I've marked to read further.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses. I'm glad to hear that others are titering every 3 years, which is what Hemopet told me to do. I'll probably titer for rabies at some point maybe when they're 5-6 years old.

Waldor, thanks for that website, it has a ton of good information!

Cathy, thank you for telling me what you do for your dogs and what you plan on doing in the future. I agree with you on boostering

Frecklesmom, thanks for the email from Dr. Schulz - it was very helpful.

Thanks everyone!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

So far their have been only a response from people living in America. Does anybody in the UK titer?
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "