Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't eat out of bowl

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear im having the same with Jelly too but the difference is having "been there" with Ruby i know she will eat when hungry! Tonight i put a pinch of gravy powder in her meal,tried her once with a spoon then walked away,the food after 15mins is in the fridge.Jelly is wandering about the kitchen looking puzzled! Bless her,she ate at lunch so im not too worried.
    I know the problem is that since Ruby has come home she is on new food,prior to this both had roast chicken with their evening meal(jelly had already started to hold out for evening feed) & with Ruby convalesing the vet advised spoon feeding her,so i am for a few more days....all this has had a knock on effect!
    Good luck all-keep reading that link!
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

My lovely little girl is like this, we have tried everything from changing bowls, food, and even tempting her by the food.. but nothing seems to work for long...

We give her cooked meat and she loves it, gets excited then walks off...

We had her checked at Vets also...

Is this a common thing? As my sisters cavvie is completely diff. a gannet even lol...

Any tips??

Jo & Poppy (woof)

Post Thanks / Like

My lovely little girl is like this, we have tried everything from changing bowls, food, and even tempting her by the food.. but nothing seems to work for long...

We give her cooked meat and she loves it, gets excited then walks off...

We had her checked at Vets also...

Is this a common thing? As my sisters cavvie is completely diff. a gannet even lol...

Any tips??

Jo & Poppy (woof)

Post Thanks / Like

They are Cavaliers, Royal Dogs what do you expect, they should be fed by hand
    Dougall wouldn't eat of a bowl as puppy and had to be fed by hand, he
    has grown out of it and now eats properly out of his bowl.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

My mother's Cav will only eat if hand fed ON THE COUCH. Sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonsMom View Post
    My mother's Cav will only eat if hand fed ON THE COUCH. Sheesh!

man these dogs are clever little so and so's arent they

My rubes was awful with food and she had us wrapped round her little paws- all 4 of them!!!

She growls and barks and whines at her bowl until you throw it accross the floor then she chases it, kicks it like a football then catches it in her mouth.
    We gave up in the end andnow she eats as royal dogs should- at the momment in the garden with her nose bag and when she cant go out she eats up on the sofa!!!!

We did do the fod technique when we had the first round of problems (aout 6 months old) which worked just fine but I think things changed when we found out about the SM and we started making excuses for her behaviour by saying that she woulnt eat that way as it hurt her! Well it may do but she drinks just fine!!

Oh the things we do for our dogs eh- you can always tell a Cavvie owner!

Karen and Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

We had exactly the same problem with Izzie! I've had a complete nightmare with her but finally after weeks of persevering we seem to be ok now.
    She just one day got really fussy and refused to eat her food. it was so out of character as every mealtime she had jumped all over the place. i tried everything, different food, different bowl, flat plate, put her food on the floor then eventually hand feeding her as I was so worried she wouldn't be getting the energy she needed as she was so young. Then I went away for a few days and my husband took things into hand. Unlike me he let her starve haha, what a meany! Well, when I came home she seemed to be eating fine, typical!!! I think that I was worrying too much about her eating and was babying her too much and she was lapping up the attention! In defence of myself though she also had a bad tummy for practically 3 months so I was even more worried about her. Its been a real struggle to get her on a bland diet.
    She still gets a bit fussy and will eat half her food then hover around me in the kitchen in the hope that I will give in, but I ignore her and over time she seems to be learning that she wont get anything else.
    Also another thing that I've found really helps is to sprinkle some seasoning to beef things up. I use Halo dinner party sprinkle and it seems to do the trick really well.
    I hope its going better with Clara!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These no eaters are not unusual and they are a pain.

The usual scenario is they refuse a meal, so you buy a different brand. They eat that enthusiastically, licking the bowl clean. Problem solved.

The next meal they refuse to look at the food, they won't even sniff it, they cower away as if you are trying to poison them.
    You buy a new brand...........

Tinned food, kibble, fresh cooked meat & biscuit, raw meat, fish, egg, baby food, all rejected.

Bowl, plate, floor, roll food into a ball and throw it. They have your measure & they are not going to be fooled into eating.

Your vet says " No dog will starve themselves, they will eat eventually" ....These dogs have not read the same veterinary books.

What can you do?.......Try & relax, give them what they will eat, & accept you are going to have a very skinny dog.( Faith lived on nothing but large Bonios for many months)

For owners that are hoping to show their promising puppy, keeping weight on a cavalier determining to starve itself to a size zero is serious. They often feed a certain drug that will give the dog an appetite
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advice! Clara is eating okish at the moment!
    Lisa-Owner to tri colour female ClaraBow born 30-6-09