• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Compulsive Disorders e.g. fly catching

kkennedy

Hi Everyone

Clare Rusbridge is beginning to investigate compulsive disorders e.g. fly catching, shadow chasing, tail chasing, and star gazing. If any of your dogs, or any dogs you know, exhibit any of the symptoms, information would be greatly appreciated. All you have to do is fill out a questionnaire and return it to Dr. Rusbridge at: CRusbridge@goddardv etgroup.co. uk

Here is a little more info on the disorder from Clare:

Neurologist Clare Rusbridge and Behaviourists Jon Bowen and Sarah Heath are investigating a metabolic basis for these little understood diseases. There is no evidence that this condition is associated with CM/SM although the two conditions could occur simultaneously. Fly catching is thought to be a compulsive disorder. Classically the dog acts as if watching / catching a fly.

If you are interested in providing information please either email me for a copy of the questionnaire [email protected] or email Dr. Rusbridge at CRusbridge@goddardv etgroup.co. uk

Thank you
Karen

Er, Amber can spend ages racing around the kitchen after flies, but they're REAL flies. Does this count as compulsive? She's no more compulsive over it than she is about chasing her ball, for example.

Sorry if that's stupid!

I second that question, because Zoe is better then a fly swatter in our house, but she is also the best fetcher I have ever seen.
-Osanna

I remember a breeder here telling us about a pup she sold as a pet and they brought the pup back after being diagnosed with flycatcher syndrome.She cut back the cavalier's antennae?(wrong word) over the eyes and the problem never happened again!
Sins

What would be consider OCD vs something we have taught our dog to obsess over. My cavalier is water crazy but so is my labrador and so was my rottweiler before that...and I made them that way because I thought it was funny and continued to reward the behavior. I've seen many puppies chase tails but what happens when the owner continues to reward the bahavior? Fly chasing is not normal but neither is light or shadow chasing and I have seen many dogs now chase lights and shadows because the owner bought a laser light and taught the dog to focus on light changes for fun. How would they determine is it is learned behavior vs OCD neurotic behavior?

Back