Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daisys Breathing Advice Pls

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Daisys Breathing Advice Pls

Hi

As I may have stated before I always keep a special eye on my Daisy regarding her health because of her breeding line which for some reason doesn't give me great confidence for her future well being. She has always been an exceedingly loud snoring Cavalier and even when she eats she snorts and wheezes and sounds as though she has a permanent amount of fluid on her chest but in the park she gallops after Rosie with no great difficulty and her breathing seems normal ,but the last week she seems to be snorting ,wheezing ,snuffling and sniffing even more and on occasion she appears to be distressed in her self so I have to hold her and whisper gently in her ear till shes calmed down some .So my question is an open one is there anything I can give her to help her with her seemingly permanent chesty problem which while not threatening is giving cause for concern and poor Daisy does get a bit stressed when it happens ,could it be just a chest infection of some sort or a cold thats given her this chesty wheezing ,any Ideas would be greatly appreciated please.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Well, most cavaliers snore and snort.Mine certainly does,she snorts when she gets excited about seeing a dog on TV or a cat on the garden wall.She sneezes too and grunts and groans when she gets her ears scratched.
    Wheezing is different,I think it would concern me a lot more than any of the above (which I'd say is pretty much normal.)
    You have her heart checked regularly with the vet and she's always been otherwise healthy so her future is more than likely very bright.
    I think have a chat with your vet.If indeed she has an allergy or a respiratory infection you would need to let the vet take a look.
    And......if she's still enjoying the cavalier banquets that you place in front of her,then just leave her on Arden grange light and water.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cavaliers can have a long soft palate & other anatomical features that slightly compromise their breathing. Often the only consequence is a variety of interesting noises that accompany whatever activity they are engaged in.

Brian, I know how you love your girls, so I am reluctant to worry you, but I do think if Daisy is getting distressed, and there are things that make you feel uneasy, then you may be wise to consult your vet.
    Heart problems in this breed can suddenly show up & worsen quickly and better a wasted journey than a poorly dog.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    I agree with Margaret and because you know your dogs so well, you'll pick up any little changes in them. Have a chat with the vet.

Post Thanks / Like

Bri i hope its nothing of any concern but agree a chat to your vet would put your mind at ease
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    Cavaliers can have a long soft palate & other anatomical features that slightly compromise their breathing. Often the only consequence is a variety of interesting noises that accompany whatever activity they are engaged in.
    I would see a vet as well. I don't want to worry you but this condition, if this is what is causing Daisy's snoring, can sometimes be quite serious. I know someone who's Cavalier had this. Again, don't want to needlessly worry you but I would have it checked out so hopefully your vet can put your mind at ease.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks for your guidance but I am a big coward as far as these things go as I fear bad news even though I know I should take her to the vets for it to be sorted so i have been sitting on my hands knowing that I must do it but preferring to keep my head in the sand in case he says something I dont want to know.But tupup phoned me just before and cajoled me into doing what I know I must which is of course a vets appointment which is tonight at 5.45 pm with one of the vets who is senior and the one actually who helped Rosie the other Saturday.So folks keep your fingers crossed for me at that time and just hope like me he says its only a chest infection and a course of-anti biotics will soon clear it up,and thinking about it she has more of a wheezy chest than a cough so I cling to that little Idea.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the appointment Brian.How long has she been wheezing like this?
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed Brian. Hopefully it's something simple that can be sorted out in a few days
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit of a coward when I fear bad news. I know exactly how you feel. But hopefully itís nothing serious that can be cleared up with antibiotics and all that time you would have worried for nothing. for Daisy this afternoon.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "