• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisys Breathing Advice Pls

Brian M

Hi

As I may have stated before I always keep a special eye on my Daisy regarding her health because of her breeding line which for some reason doesn't give me great confidence for her future well being. She has always been an exceedingly loud snoring Cavalier and even when she eats she snorts and wheezes and sounds as though she has a permanent amount of fluid on her chest but in the park she gallops after Rosie with no great difficulty and her breathing seems normal ,but the last week she seems to be snorting ,wheezing ,snuffling and sniffing even more and on occasion she appears to be distressed in her self so I have to hold her and whisper gently in her ear till shes calmed down some .So my question is an open one is there anything I can give her to help her with her seemingly permanent chesty problem which while not threatening is giving cause for concern and poor Daisy does get a bit stressed when it happens ,could it be just a chest infection of some sort or a cold thats given her this chesty wheezing ,any Ideas would be greatly appreciated please.

Well, most cavaliers snore and snort.Mine certainly does,she snorts when she gets excited about seeing a dog on TV or a cat on the garden wall.She sneezes too and grunts and groans when she gets her ears scratched.
Wheezing is different,I think it would concern me a lot more than any of the above (which I'd say is pretty much normal.)
You have her heart checked regularly with the vet and she's always been otherwise healthy so her future is more than likely very bright.
I think have a chat with your vet.If indeed she has an allergy or a respiratory infection you would need to let the vet take a look.
And......if she's still enjoying the cavalier banquets that you place in front of her,then just leave her on Arden grange light and water.;)
Sins

Cavaliers can have a long soft palate & other anatomical features that slightly compromise their breathing. Often the only consequence is a variety of interesting noises that accompany whatever activity they are engaged in.

Brian, I know how you love your girls, so I am reluctant to worry you, but I do think if Daisy is getting distressed, and there are things that make you feel uneasy, then you may be wise to consult your vet.
Heart problems in this breed can suddenly show up & worsen quickly and better a wasted journey than a poorly dog.

Brian,
I agree with Margaret and because you know your dogs so well, you'll pick up any little changes in them. Have a chat with the vet.

Bri i hope its nothing of any concern but agree a chat to your vet would put your mind at ease:xfngr:

Cavaliers can have a long soft palate & other anatomical features that slightly compromise their breathing. Often the only consequence is a variety of interesting noises that accompany whatever activity they are engaged in.

I would see a vet as well. I don't want to worry you but this condition, if this is what is causing Daisy's snoring, can sometimes be quite serious. I know someone who's Cavalier had this. Again, don't want to needlessly worry you but I would have it checked out so hopefully your vet can put your mind at ease.

Hi

Thanks for your guidance but I am a big coward as far as these things go as I fear bad news even though I know I should take her to the vets for it to be sorted so i have been sitting on my hands knowing that I must do it but preferring to keep my head in the sand in case he says something I dont want to know.But tupup phoned me just before and cajoled me into doing what I know I must which is of course a vets appointment which is tonight at 5.45 pm with one of the vets who is senior and the one actually who helped Rosie the other Saturday.So folks keep your fingers crossed for me at that time and just hope like me he says its only a chest infection and a course of-anti biotics will soon clear it up,and thinking about it she has more of a wheezy chest than a cough so I cling to that little Idea.

Good luck with the appointment Brian.How long has she been wheezing like this?
Sins

Fingers crossed Brian. Hopefully it's something simple that can be sorted out in a few days:)

I am a bit of a coward when I fear bad news. I know exactly how you feel. But hopefully it’s nothing serious that can be cleared up with antibiotics and all that time you would have worried for nothing. :xfngr: for Daisy this afternoon.

Hi Sinead

She is by far the most vocal of the four and her Groomers say she sings to them as she has her shampoo and set but her snoring has always been around 9 on the Richter Scale since we have had her ,but her chesty wheezing I have really only noticed over the last 4/5 days but as I say she does not have a cough as such thats why I am hoping the vet just says to me its a chest infection only .:xfngr::xfngr::xfngr::xfngr::)

Hi

And what a HORROR Daisy is ,her heart is as strong as an OX but she does have a chest infection and enlarged glands ,so after a complete medical with special attention to her heart and an antibiotic injection she is fine but I could have throttled her on the table (I tell a lie cos I couldn't really ) shes had me worried stiff for the last couple of days and I am bxxxxx sure its that name Daisy that does it ,but I did enjoy having just her with me in the car and at the vets that was nice ,so Daisy says sorry for all the concern she has caused to all and Thank You and she promises to behave better in the future.:)

Well done on taking her Bri & im really glad it was nothing too bad:D Tho youve still got "A MAN DOWN"!! as i always say to either of my girls when the other is not 100%,i hope your brave soldier is better soon:xfngr:

just reread that if it doesnt make sense to any except me ie;as Bri knows Ruby got stung on the paw this morning on our walk,Jelly still wanted to run about so i picked Ru up & jogged home with Jelly,saying to her "we got a man down Jels,man down" Oh the things we do!:eek:

I would also caution anyone against naming their cavalier Daisy!:D
Brian I'm glad it's nothing major. It was well worth your while getting her checked out.Respiratory illnesses are misery for us two legged creatures so naturally if you can ease the stress of the wheezing,so much better for the little imp.
Sins

Aw Brian do I know what you mean about fearing bad news. I'm glad you got it checked out, hope your (all of your) darlin's are feeling better soon.

HI

just a thought by tupup,Daisy is still not right she has now started like a dry retching but only occasional and Pops has also developed a type of cough but its as though she is trying to cough something up that may be stuck in her throat and Daisys appetite is not great .So could it be a mild dose of kennel cough .:confused:

Back