• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea's!!

Ciren

ok i'm being blonde but i have looked and can't see the answer to the question.

i think we have fleas here, i have seen one on her and lots of strange black dots that we couldnt work out what they were.

i have frontlined her but do i need to treat her bedding and our sofa?

Personally if you really think they are there I would. My parents have had an ongoing problem in their house with fleas and although the treat all their animals and give them flea baths the fleas just keep coming back. This weekend they are finally treating their house (after 2 years of this problem) and hopefully we'll be able to bring our dogs over there again!
-Osanna and Zoe

Do you have carpets? I know that there are some sprays, but I have never tried them. We had to use the bombs when we had a problem with fleas and they work well, but they are pretty harsh.
Good luck!

If you've seen even just one flea plus the black dots you are talking about, you have fleas. The black dots are flea poop & eggs :eek:. First, remove all her bedding, towels, etc and throw them in the wash (anything she sleeps with). Then vaccuum really really well (under the bed, etc) all carpets and hard floors.

Then, immediately wash the dogs with any dishwashing soap. You don't have to buy any flea shampoo or anything with pesticides- fleas will die with any soap. Make sure you start AT HER HEAD and work down, otherwise the fleas will run to her head to avoid the water and soap. After she's really dry, apply a topical flea treatment if you haven't already. This won't stop the fleas from biting her, but will stop their reproduction cycle.

Some people swear by MuleTeam Borax (a laundry booster) sprinkled in the carpets and along baseboards. I do this just to prevent fleas- but you can buy it at almost any grocery store (in the States anyway!). Sprinkle it on pretty heavy, then use a broom to sweep in into all the cracks and carpet fibers, then vaccuum it up. Supposedly this helps kill the fleas and their larvae and prevent them from reproducing.

If you've just seen this one flea, and this is not an ongoing problem, this should be enough to nip it in the bud. But fleas reproduce REALLY quickly, so you have to be quick! With the fosters I have coming and going (and almost every one has fleas!) I've never had a problem by following the directions above as soon as I see one. Good luck!

Sprinkle it on pretty heavy, then use a broom to sweep in into all the cracks and carpet fibers, then vaccuum it up. Supposedly this helps kill the fleas and their larvae and prevent them from re!

Trisha - isn't the borax supposed to stay in the carpet for a few days before vacuuming it up? That's how I did it a long time ago. I was told the fleas needed a day or two to die.

i'm seriously pissed about all this, i havent had any trouble up till now.

i took her to the vets last week to get her glands done, another lady came in while i was waiting and said she had just picked up her dog from a mates place and she had seen a flea, and could they get it off for her? she was told to go frontline.

if i have got them from her i wanna track her down and slap her!!!

bedding is in the wash, and i am goign to have to do ours as well. i am actually REALLY upset. i'm supposed to take care of her not let this happen :(

Fleas......................

May I suggest you all mix garlic powder in with their food. Its good for dogs and fleas/ticks hate it. Also, I like garlic so have a taste myself !

Dont use Frontline anymore as there have been severe reactions to it and for a while it seemed to stop working - some vets dont offer it anymore.

I now give Drontal + to all mine and buy off the WWW at about £1 per tablet.

Far better than paying a Vet £8 for 2 !

Regards Mark.

Ciren-i feel your pain!!Last year i found a flea on Rubes & freaked! Since then ive used Frontline COMBO instead of Frontline as its meant to protect their enviroment-wherever they go is protected.I get it from vets.The main problem as ive said before is trying to keep the girls dry before & after treatment,never easy with our weather.
Good luck with the big clean up

You're not a bad mom- fleas are one of those annoying pests that they can pick up *anywhere*! Especially public places where the grounds aren't treated.

As long as you catch it before they start reproducing (a 7 day cycle I believe) you should not have a problem. I've seen fleas several times on my dogs (once badly while on a vacation) and as long as you treat it as soon as you see them, you will not become infested.

As for the Borax, you can leave it on the carpets for several hours or even days before vacuuming it up, but the powder doesn't actually kill the fleas on contact. It's a drying agent and dehydrates them over time. It's just an additional way of stopping the reproduction cycle in the house. Also, some people and pets could have a reaction to too much powder which is why you want to sweep it into the fibers and baseboards and just vacuum the loose powder on top.

Dont use Frontline anymore as there have been severe reactions to it and for a while it seemed to stop working - some vets dont offer it anymore.

I now give Drontal + to all mine and buy off the WWW at about £1 per tablet.

Far better than paying a Vet £8 for 2 !

Regards Mark.

isnt drontal for worms.. not fleas??

Back