Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pippin is sick

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Pippin is sick

Pippin was in the vets on monday for some tests.

Yesterday mid-morning he had diarrhea. I put it down to meds he got or just the stress of being in the vets. He had it again this morning but not bad.

I gave him pro-kolin and fed him only rice and some scrambled egg at 8am as he is allergic to chicken. He was fine all day, no poo's at all. This evening he started wanting to eat grass all the time, when my husband was out doing the garden. I kept him in as it was making him retch.He did a normal poo at 8pm. He was lively enough and was looking to be fed at the usual time of 9 ish tonight, so I gave him another small bit of rice and egg.

Just after midnight he went out to the toilet and passed a small-medium pool of blood. I rang the emergency vet straight away. They asked me full details of his symptoms and I explained everything. They said as he was settled down to sleep now and his gum colour was nice and pink it was ok to leave him until morning and contact my vet. I've just to keep a close eye on him and contact them again if he gets any worse.

He was just out to toilet again a minute ago and there were only a couple of drops of blood and some grass.

He went straight back to bed and is sleeping soundly now.

I hate to see him sick like this and wish it was morning so I could get him checked out.....why do things seem so much worse at night?
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Default ill puppy

Is the blood bright red or dark and clotted? If bright red then the irritation is towards the end of the digestive track and if its dark and clotted it is closer to his actual stomach. A few drops would not worry me too much, but a pool of blood would make me freak out. However if the vet says you can wait until morning I'd take their word for it. I just took one of mine to the vet due to upset stomach that lasted a few days and was told that if the stomach feels soft (no gas build up) and the dog does not yelp when stomach is palpated and the dog is not vomiting then there probably is no blockage in the intestines (which was my primary concern). I hope pippin feels better soon
    Lou - CKCS - dob 11/21/2007; Sam - Shih-tzu - dob 11/28/2008; Beau - labrador - dob 8/13/2005; Toni - cat - dob fall 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Nastya.

The first pool was medium red and then he went a few times afterwards but it was the rice and egg he ate mixed with slime and some drops of blood,starting to turn reddish brown.

His stomach did feel soft and he didn't mind me rubbing it, although he sounded like he had wind.

Well the emergency vet was right,even though I was worried sick Pippin didn't get any worse over night. He last went to the toilet a 3.45am,I stayed up with him until 5am. Then brought him (and the other two) to bed with me.

He woke at 7.30 bright as a button and looking for food !!??, of course he didn't get it!

I am waiting now to call my vet when he opens,clinic starts at 10am but I think they are there between 9.30 and 10. My husband will bring him if he needs to go in. I am in work 10-4...if I can keep awake that long!

Although things seem ok this morning I was really scared last night and I'm glad I called the emergency vet for reassurance.

I will post when I've heard from the vets later.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Pippin.
    It always seems to happen at night or at the weekend.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Pippin is feeling a bit better today, it's horrible when they're sick isnt it xxxxxxx
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely take him to the vet later, that's a nasty bout of Gastroenteritis.There seems to be a lot of it about at the moment.
    Yeah, It's horrible sitting up with a sick patient, be it child or dog.
    Hope Pippin is better by evening.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to read that Pippin is unwell the Vet gives him something to clear it up soon.
    Sending healing prayers to the little man and to you. Ther's nothing worse than having to sit up all night with a sick pet.

Let us know how he is later .
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar situation with Molly, all she wanted to do was eat grass, the vet told me when she is this poorly don't let her eat grass to excess as it irritates the intestines.
    Hope all goes ok.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Hugs to your little sick baby Theresa, hopefully now that he's seen the vet he will start to feel better soon and make sure you remember to look after yourself and get to bed early tonight
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

am sending good vibes and hope Pippin will be feling better, pls let us know when you have the chance
    Chiara from Italy
    & Nickey tri /M 23/05/2008
    Morgana boxer/F 19/05/1993 26/11/2007, forever in our hearts