• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pippin is sick

pippa

Pippin was in the vets on monday for some tests.

Yesterday mid-morning he had diarrhea. I put it down to meds he got or just the stress of being in the vets. He had it again this morning but not bad.

I gave him pro-kolin and fed him only rice and some scrambled egg at 8am as he is allergic to chicken. He was fine all day, no poo's at all. This evening he started wanting to eat grass all the time, when my husband was out doing the garden. I kept him in as it was making him retch.He did a normal poo at 8pm. He was lively enough and was looking to be fed at the usual time of 9 ish tonight, so I gave him another small bit of rice and egg.

Just after midnight he went out to the toilet and passed a small-medium pool of blood. I rang the emergency vet straight away. They asked me full details of his symptoms and I explained everything. They said as he was settled down to sleep now and his gum colour was nice and pink it was ok to leave him until morning and contact my vet. I've just to keep a close eye on him and contact them again if he gets any worse.

He was just out to toilet again a minute ago and there were only a couple of drops of blood and some grass.

He went straight back to bed and is sleeping soundly now.

I hate to see him sick like this and wish it was morning so I could get him checked out.....why do things seem so much worse at night?

ill puppy

Is the blood bright red or dark and clotted? If bright red then the irritation is towards the end of the digestive track and if its dark and clotted it is closer to his actual stomach. A few drops would not worry me too much, but a pool of blood would make me freak out. However if the vet says you can wait until morning I'd take their word for it. I just took one of mine to the vet due to upset stomach that lasted a few days and was told that if the stomach feels soft (no gas build up) and the dog does not yelp when stomach is palpated and the dog is not vomiting then there probably is no blockage in the intestines (which was my primary concern). I hope pippin feels better soon

Thanks for the reply Nastya.

The first pool was medium red and then he went a few times afterwards but it was the rice and egg he ate mixed with slime and some drops of blood,starting to turn reddish brown.

His stomach did feel soft and he didn't mind me rubbing it, although he sounded like he had wind.

Well the emergency vet was right,even though I was worried sick Pippin didn't get any worse over night. He last went to the toilet a 3.45am,I stayed up with him until 5am. Then brought him (and the other two) to bed with me.

He woke at 7.30 bright as a button and looking for food !!??, of course he didn't get it!

I am waiting now to call my vet when he opens,clinic starts at 10am but I think they are there between 9.30 and 10. My husband will bring him if he needs to go in. I am in work 10-4...if I can keep awake that long!

Although things seem ok this morning I was really scared last night and I'm glad I called the emergency vet for reassurance.

I will post when I've heard from the vets later.

Thinking of you and Pippin. :hug:
It always seems to happen at night or at the weekend.

I hope Pippin is feeling a bit better today, it's horrible when they're sick isnt it xxxxxxx

Definitely take him to the vet later, that's a nasty bout of Gastroenteritis.There seems to be a lot of it about at the moment.
Yeah, It's horrible sitting up with a sick patient, be it child or dog.
Hope Pippin is better by evening.
Sins

Sorry to read that Pippin is unwell :xfngr: the Vet gives him something to clear it up soon.
Sending healing prayers to the little man and :hug: to you. Ther's nothing worse than having to sit up all night with a sick pet.

Let us know how he is later .

We had a similar situation with Molly, all she wanted to do was eat grass, the vet told me when she is this poorly don't let her eat grass to excess as it irritates the intestines.
Hope all goes ok.

Hugs to your little sick baby Theresa, hopefully now that he's seen the vet he will start to feel better soon :hug: and make sure you remember to look after yourself and get to bed early tonight :rolleyes:

am sending good vibes and hope Pippin will be feling better, pls let us know when you have the chance

:updte:

Thanks all :)

Pippin seen the vet as soon as he opened clinic this morning and it is a bad bout of colitis caused by an infection that is apparently doing the rounds at the moment:(

He is to stay on a bland diet for the next few days and is also on antibiotics...he had an injection today to kick start the healing process. He is quite tired now and I'd say hungery too by now but I can't give him anything until later tonight.

I just hope gus and DJ don't get it.

Poor Pippin he is my littlest cavalier and he is going through the mill at the moment, just two weeks ago he was diagnosed with epilepsy after a few seizures.

He had a small one in the vets today because he can't hold in the meds, but thankfully as he is not vomiting he is not dehydrated and is able to be home here with me.

I have of course to keep a close eye on him and get him back straight away if he gets any worse....fingers crossed he won't. He still has a bit of diarrhea but no more blood.

I have to watch him like a hawk when he goes out to potty as afterwards he starts heading for grass!

He will be under my nose all weekend..my poor little pip:(

Poor Pippin, poor you. I hope he improves quickly:xfngr: im glad to hear the bleeding has stopped,its very scary isnt it. I hope you get a good nights rest tonight

Glad that Pippin is doing better and I also hope your other dogs don't get the same bug.

Get some rest and let us know how Pippin is doing.

Heather R

Glad Pippin is doing a bit better.
Thank god he didn’t have to stay at the vets and you were able to take him home. Nothing worse when you have to leave them. :xfngr:for a speedy recovery.

Update on pippin

Hi everyone Pippin is a lot better today.

He started to perk up yesterday afternoon when he dropped his toy at my feet:)

Thankyou all for your support and kind wishes when I was so worried.

You are all really nice people :flwr::flwr:

Ah bless the poor little fella, he's such a cutie, I hope he feels better soon, sending him gentle hugs xx

Back