• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Luxating Patella post surgical care

svidmar

Hi,

Our 1 year old female cav Muffet has grade 3 patellar luxation in her right hind leg and grade 4 in the left. She sometimes screams in pain if she aggravates it, so we're going to do the surgery.

I understand that it is an 8-10 week recovery period with either direct supervision and control or crate rest.

the question I have is kind of gross. How do dogs eliminate during this period? It seems like the Robert Jones bandage that they'll use on both legs pretty much makes squatting impossible.

Stanley

Bella had bilateral knee surgery done in July. She had the 8 weeks of limited activity. The first few days were the hardest. She didn't want to stand or even move if it involved her hind legs. I used a towel under her belly to help her rise and walk outside to potty. She didn't squat to pee, she just seemed to spread her legs a little wider apart, and let it go. She also was able to poo without a problem, of course I supported her hind in with the towel, wrapped like a loop under her belly and I held the ends. That seemed to help tremendously. After a week or so, she was able to support herself, but had to be on a leash for the full 8 weeks so that once she got her strength and confidence back, she wouldn't take off running! She was just released by the surgeon to be unlimited activity! They did recommend giving her tuna in oil for the first 3 days to make it easier to poo, because the pain patch/medication would make her constipated. It worked wonderfully. I ended up getting an xpen to keep her in, the crate was just not easy to get her in and out of. Much easier to get her out of the xpen, since there is no top on it. She was in the xpen for 4 weeks, allowed out for short periods of time, supervised, or on leash. She has done amazingly well. It was the best decision for her! Good luck! I will be glad to help in any way I can.. since its so fresh in my mind!

Glad Bella has done well after her surgery!! I think Mellie's advice is great!

Kosmo also had bilateral luxating patella surgery, but his was in July of 2007 so it's not as fresh ;)

One thing I did really find handy was a dog stroller believe it or not. I was able to continue to walk Faith and then pop Kosmo in and he could come for the walk too. In addition, some days he was good walking 5 minutes and sometimes 10, so when he got tired, I popped him in and kept going.

I think one of the best pieces of advice is to remember that there will be good days and there will be bad days. When Kosmo had a bad day, I was directed to restrict his activity for 48 hours before resuming. He also had metacam for inflammation (from the vets).

Kos healed beautifully and unless I told you, you'd never know he had the surgery today :flwr:

Good luck with Muffet. I also had Kosmo's surgery done at a year! He was gr 3 in one leg (with a pin and tendon relocation during surgery) and a grade 2+ in the other :)

Thanks so much for your response! the towel under the belly makes a lot of sense. I'm glad that Bella did so well. I'm looking forward to getting Muffet through this so that she can enjoy her walks again.

Interesting comment on the xpen. She sleeps in an xpen now, but I was intending to break out the training crate again based on the instructions from the surgical facility. I'll ask about using the xpen, that would sure make it easier on her, she likes the xpen and hated the crate after she was housebroken.

Back