• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Seizures

lady and amber

Two weeks ago Amber had a bad seizure, she would come out of it for a short while then it would start again she spent 24 hours at the vets to get her stable, they did not start her on any medication as they said it may have been a one off.

Yesterday morning they started again so back to the vets where they kept her in again and did blood tests, to check her liver and kidney function, they also started her on Epiphen that has to be taken every 12 hours to control the siezures. the drug has made her very wobbly on her back legs and after her stay at the vets she is more clingy than ever. I had to take her back again this morning for a quick check up,

She gets so worked up when we go to the vets that it worrys me that she will bring on another siezure, any tips on how to deal with this as she will now need to go often for blood tests as the medication can affect the liver.

I'm so sorry to hear about Amber. I have never had a cavalier with seizures, but our German Shepherd had Grand Mal seizures which are not fun to watch with a big dog. For the last few years of her life she was pretty well controlled on a combination of phenobarbitol and potassium bromide. She also hated going to the vet, but luckily it never brought on a seizure. If she's food oriented, maybe you could give her a treat right when you walk in the door of the vets to make her anticipate something good. My vet has a treat jar on the counter right when you get inside. Just a thought. Also, I assume that she will adjust to the medication the longer she's on it and hopefuly some of the wobbliness will go away. Our shepherd was also very clingy after her seizures. She would need to have some type of body contact with me after going through that. Since we didn't allow her up on the furniture, sometimes I would sit on the floor with her so she could press her side up against me. Good luck with Amber. It's not a fun thing to go through with your dog. Hopefully the Epiphen will control her seizures.

I am so sorry to hear she's having seizures :( that's no fun at all :(

I think honestly if I were you I would probably at this point be asking for a referral to a neurologist to get an opinion about what is going on/treatment options.

If she only needs to see the vets for blood work, maybe you can find a mobile vet that would be willing to come out for bloods?

Good luck and I hope you can get to the bottom of this! :jmp:

I've had exactly this problem with Pippin just over the last few weeks. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy and he gets stressed at the vets also.

He was in for tests the other day and is on phenobarbitone now for the seizures also he has a bad infection in his bowel now too so back to the vets again today:(

He was very wobbly on his legs (couldn't walk at all)when he first went on meds so they were reduced and he was fine after a couple of days.

I know how hard it is seeing them stressed, I just give plenty of reassurance, calmly, and lots of hugs.

Hope your girl will be ok..I'm sure she will they are little fighters.

Im sorry to hear your going thro this with Amber, i hope things improve for you both soon:xfngr:
I dont know regards her meds but maybe she could have a little Bach rescue remedy before you go to the vets? im sure youve thought of this already tho:)

I've had exactly this problem with Pippin just over the last few weeks. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy and he gets stressed at the vets also.

He was in for tests the other day and is on phenobarbitone now for the seizures also he has a bad infection in his bowel now too so back to the vets again today:(

He was very wobbly on his legs (couldn't walk at all)when he first went on meds so they were reduced and he was fine after a couple of days.

I know how hard it is seeing them stressed, I just give plenty of reassurance, calmly, and lots of hugs.

Hope your girl will be ok..I'm sure she will they are little fighters.

Sorry that Pippin is going through this too, and now with the bowel infection you must have had a worrying time of it just lately,:hug: hope he gets better soon.

could you tell me what dose he was put on first, epiphen is a brand name for phenobarbitone, Amber is on 30mg tablets half a tablet twice a day, today is the second day of taking them the vet started them yesterday.

Amber barks and crys none stop at the vets, it only started two weeks ago after she was kept in over night before she used to love going. I know she must be getting vibes from me I worry and fuss over her so much these days since losing Lady.

Hi Lynne,

Pippin was put on 30mg twice a day at first, but it was too much for him as he is a fairly small cavalier.

He is now in 15mg twice daily. It took a few days for him to become used to the tablets.

My vet took him in last monday for x-rays to make sure nothing else was causing him to be wobbly on his legs. The x-rays came back clear,I am waiting for the results of the bloodtest to make sure he is on the right dosage of the tablets.

Pippin cries on the way to the vets as he doesn't like the carrier but I can't just harness him in the car as he escapes out of everyone I've tried!

He also cries in the vets and I always have to pick him up. I try to stay relaxed but it is hard.

Hi Lynne,

Pippin was put on 30mg twice a day at first, but it was too much for him as he is a fairly small cavalier.

He is now in 15mg twice daily. It took a few days for him to become used to the tablets.

My vet took him in last monday for x-rays to make sure nothing else was causing him to be wobbly on his legs. The x-rays came back clear,I am waiting for the results of the bloodtest to make sure he is on the right dosage of the tablets.

Pippin cries on the way to the vets as he doesn't like the carrier but I can't just harness him in the car as he escapes out of everyone I've tried!

He also cries in the vets and I always have to pick him up. I try to stay relaxed but it is hard.

Thank you, you have been a great help looks like they are on the same dose, Amber is very small, she has to go for a blood test on the 1st of October to check the levels in her blood, she seems a lot better today, she must of been suffering the after affects of the siezure yesterday.

Amber is 5 year and a half also. we will have to keep in touch and see how they both do, Amber has eaten her first full meal in 6 weeks today and asked to play, so I hope she is feeling better in herself :xfngr:

Pippin has also asked to play today..his toy was dropped at my feet:)

Please feel free to pm me anytime....fimgers crossed they are both going to be fine:)

The good thing about this forum is you have found each other.
It is so helpful when there is someone else that knows what you are going through.
Good luck to you & your little dogs.

It is so helpful when there is someone else that knows what you are going through.

Very true and Thankyou for the good wishes:)

Pippa has been a great help to me and put my mind at ease, Its makes me sad to know that another little one is going through the same as Amber, but helps me as someone knows what I am going through, thankyou for your good wishes.

Isn't this a wonderful place that the two of you have been able to find each other and find comfort and advice from each other. It's so hard when our dogs are ailing but so comforting to have someone who knows exactly what you are going through to talk things over with. After your so recent loss of Lady you just don't need anymore stress. I'm sorry you are going through this but it does look like things are looking up and everything will be okay.

I'm so glad to hear that both Pippin and Amber are feeling better and hope they just continue to improve.

I am so very sorry to hear about your little darling having to go through that, I do send many prayers of good health and ease of mind!

I do want to suggest trying a product called "Comfort Zone". It's a spray you can use with momma pheromones in it to help calm puppies and dogs. I have used it on our other dog, Mia (a Pit Bull) when we leave to go out as she has severe separation anxiety. It works like a charm on her as it has worked wonderfully on all the chihuahua's we babysit too when they first come here and also when we leave for a couple of hours. It's not 100% and some dogs may not receive the benefits of it at all, but it may be worth a try to use when you go to the vet to help calm her down.

It is pricey, for a little bottle it's $35 US, so it's somewhat of a risk buying it and finding out that it doesn't have any effect. But, the chance that it could work would make it more than worth it. Just spray it on the car seat or even a little on your shirt if you want about 10 -15 minutes before you leave, and their anxiety attacks should subside if not disappear.

Much luck, and many blessings!

This place really is great for support.

I also get great support from another member on here...Whom I pm everytime I am worried:eek: and is always a great help, you know who you are;)

Back