Thread: Contagious Illness - help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contagious Illness - help!

I am visiting my family for a week and apparently the whole city has had a slew of dog illnesses. Her pup is on antibiotics for a bad cough and some sneezing - he also threw up once when he was just starting to get sick.

When I return home, what precautions should I take so my guy doesn't get sick? He is 13 so I think the illness would be harder on him than on my mom's 3yr old. He is with a friend, so I will be able to go home an decontaminate before I pick him up if necessary. TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really have advice other than to wash to hands really well.

Maybe change and wash any clothes etc that you were wearing while there.

Sorry I can't be more help..maybe ask your vets advice?

Hope your guy doesn't get it..although I would imagine if he is not in contact with the sick dog you should be ok.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wash everything you have taken with you very thoroughly and disinfect shoes etc BEFORE you bring your wee fellow home.

Also have a thorough shower and wash your hair...

It sounds like a type of Kennel Cough which is highly contagious and can be carried on clothing etc. - this wouldn't be pleasant for a 13 year old and you will need to keep a careful watch on him.

The vaccine takes at least a week to work so probably too late to try that for him anyway - and personally I would be reluctant to vaccinate a dog of that age.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully your friend's pup will have recovered by the time you're ready to come home and will no longer be contagious.But if you're worried,take a pack of disinfectant wipes with you and before coming back inside your own door, wipe your shoes and take them off before you go in.Take a shower,change your clothes and shoes and collect your dog and have a happy reunion
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I have read, on the 'net, that there is a dog flu going around over here. Good luck with your old fella.