• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Contagious Illness - help!

MishathePooh

I am visiting my family for a week and apparently the whole city has had a slew of dog illnesses. Her pup is on antibiotics for a bad cough and some sneezing - he also threw up once when he was just starting to get sick.

When I return home, what precautions should I take so my guy doesn't get sick? He is 13 so I think the illness would be harder on him than on my mom's 3yr old. He is with a friend, so I will be able to go home an decontaminate before I pick him up if necessary. TIA!

Don't really have advice other than to wash to hands really well.

Maybe change and wash any clothes etc that you were wearing while there.

Sorry I can't be more help..maybe ask your vets advice?

Hope your guy doesn't get it..although I would imagine if he is not in contact with the sick dog you should be ok.

Wash everything you have taken with you very thoroughly and disinfect shoes etc BEFORE you bring your wee fellow home.

Also have a thorough shower and wash your hair...

It sounds like a type of Kennel Cough which is highly contagious and can be carried on clothing etc. - this wouldn't be pleasant for a 13 year old and you will need to keep a careful watch on him.

The vaccine takes at least a week to work so probably too late to try that for him anyway - and personally I would be reluctant to vaccinate a dog of that age.

Hopefully your friend's pup will have recovered by the time you're ready to come home and will no longer be contagious.But if you're worried,take a pack of disinfectant wipes with you and before coming back inside your own door, wipe your shoes and take them off before you go in.Take a shower,change your clothes and shoes and collect your dog and have a happy reunion:)
Sins

I have read, on the 'net, that there is a dog flu going around over here. Good luck with your old fella.

Back