• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Will my dog forget who I am?

Kristen

Hi!

I have a 3 year old cavalier, Romeo. We basically spend almost all day everyday together, and admittedly are somewhat co-dependent. ;) But last Monday I moved to the UK (from California) and Romeo had to stay at home. I'm waiting for his Pet Travel Scheme 6-month rule to end before he can some live with me in my dog-friendly flat. His 6 months will be up In February, and he might not be able to travel here until Easter! I'll see him for Xmas holidays, but I'm worried between now and then- or Xmas and Easter- he'll forget who I am! Is this a legit concern? :^(

Thanks!

No, he won't forget you. You will have a wonderful welcome whenever he sees you again.

He will, however, love his new carer while he is with them, and that is just as well. You would not want him to pine.

Nope....I bet he won't forget you!! My guys see their breeder maybe once a year and when we drive down that driveway they go ballistic. And when she walks out of the front door you better get outta the way....they'll mow you down to get to her. Even Jake, who is a total momma's boy, is just nuts about his Margaret and doesn't even look back at me.

My daughter moved to the uk from Ireland last year for 10 months..she only came back now and then around three times in all, but each time my three were delighted to see her and did not forget her at all.

They raced to the door and nearly killed each other to get to her when she came home!

aww, he won't forget you! We doggysat my uncles dog while he was in hospital, for some reason (I don't know I was a baby!) he never took her back and we had her from been 1 to when we sadly had to have her put down at 18. Still every christmas/birthday etc when the uncle visited she would run to him for cuddles and definitly knew who he was.

Hi Kristin,

I used to work in quarentine kennels in the UK & often people (mainly Army) would send their cats & dogs over 6 months ahead of their move & so wouldnt see them for 6 months - when they were reunited I dont remember a single case where the dog/cat wasnt totaly overjoyed to see their owners - even the oldies!!

I also left my two dogs in the UK when I moved to Ireland & only saw them every 3-6 months in the year & a half befor ethey could join me here in Ireland - they allways remembered me & forgave me for leaving them with my parents! (mine wasnt a passport issuse though was just because I couldnt find anywhere pet friendly to rent - but finaly bought a house & they joined me a couple of weeks after I moved in!)

Good luck xxx

Back