• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM question

Nastya

My cavalier, Lou, who is a year and 10 months old has been very drooly recently. Last night he was making a lot of licking swallowing noises and today he had drool hanging on both sides of his mouth. He has also been known to rub his head (both sides) on teh floor. At times it is after eating at times it is not. He does not appear to have any other questionable symptoms, but I am rather worried. I guess all I can do is wait and see. Does anyone have their dogs do these things and not have SM?

My cavalier, Lou, who is a year and 10 months old has been very drooly recently. Last night he was making a lot of licking swallowing noises and today he had drool hanging on both sides of his mouth. He has also been known to rub his head (both sides) on teh floor. At times it is after eating at times it is not. He does not appear to have any other questionable symptoms, but I am rather worried. I guess all I can do is wait and see. Does anyone have their dogs do these things and not have SM?

We have a toad-pouncing Cavalier bitch which will pounce on toads and try to eat them. When she bites them, they emit a mild poison which causes her to drool heavily. She does not have SM, as far as I can tell.

Rubbing the face after eating or drinking is common among our non-SM-affected Cavaliers.

i agree most cavaliers behave in such a way, we have discussed this on here several times in the past this in classic cavalier behaviour well a couple of them anyway. :yuk:

I would keep a very close eye on what Lou is picking up and eating in the garden or on walks. There's quite a few different things that can make them poorly. Certain plants will make them drool heavily, however they do tend to vomit as well. We've just got rid of our fuchia plants for just this reason, as it seemed a bit of a coincidence that a few hours after catching her messing around the plants, she vomited and was drooling excessively. I checked up on the internet and it was one of the plants that can make them ill.
I might be way off the mark here but, just a thought.......:)

It could be related to a problem in his mouth.
I would check that he does not have a decaying tooth or gum infection, and there is nothing caught in his mouth.

If he continues to drool excessively, and there is no obvious reason, I would have him checked out by your vet.

I agree with Margaret above, drooling like that suggests problems with mouth, teeth, or even maybe throat irritation - I would defiinitely have your cavalier checked by a vet to be on the safe side. :)

My Ebony had something like this. It started at night and she was constantly licking her lips, so much that it kept me awake. She was also drooling just from one site of her mouth. Next morning I took her to the vet and she had an infected gum.

Thank you everyone

Thank you so much. I will definately keep an eye on him and check out his mouth carefully.

Hi Nastya,
My advise to you would be to keep a close eye on Lou to noticed any changes. Even thou this may or may not be signs associated with sm, you still need to watch Lou. They could be mild signs of sm. My cav had only mild signs of sm. I wasn't awhere of the condition or any signs. SM hit her suddenly. She woke up in the middle of the night, had vomited in her crate and was unable to walk, eat, drink and was having siezures. I rushed her to the animal hospital, there they ammidiately put her on iv and began running test on her over the next couple of days. I really thought I was going to loose my sweet baby.:( I thought to myself "If only I had know about this condtion, I could have got her help sooner." But by the grace of God, she is much better. She is on medication and with me incouraging her to walk she is much stronger, Not back to normal yet, but that is taking time.:) So just keep an eye on Lou.
Sophia.jpg

Back