• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about scratching

patg

Hi Everyone, My almost 3 year old B&T male has been scratching for quite some time. He usually scratches under his chin and almost always starts after waking up from a nap or first thing in the morning. My vet suggests allergies. He was treated for a deep skin infection (pyoderma) on his chin which has since resolved. Are there any "classic" times which cavaliers with SM scratch? Does it ever involve only the chin?
He is not sensitive anywhere around his neck and seems normal and healthy otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Thanks, Pat & Riley

Hi there

My SM Cav, Jade, often scratches her chin and I find she is worse in the morning. SM symptoms can vary quite a bit. If in any doubt, I would get him checked by a vet who knows the condition.

Kathleen
(Jade and Thomas)

I agree

What I would say is that I wasted so much time checking for allergies and having xrays and blood tests done which could have been spent treating Ruby for the advanced SM we are now faced with.
If you are in any doubt then get a scan done- most insurance companies will pay out but may I sugest getting your Cav on a life long policy before he may or may not be diagnosed so that you will be covered for life long treatment if need be! I couldnt be without the insurance cover we have and they are truly fantastic with Rubys problems!
Ruby scratches in the morning, after eating and when she gets excitable- she also rubs her head along anything she can ( she does this more so than the scratching)- thats all her symptoms were before diagnosis and my vet didnt even refer me I refered myself!
If deep down in your gut you feel something is wrong then the sooner you find out the better as if it is bad news time is off the esscence!

Hope he is OK!!
Karen and Ruby

Hi Everyone, My almost 3 year old B&T male has been scratching for quite some time. He usually scratches under his chin and almost always starts after waking up from a nap or first thing in the morning. My vet suggests allergies. He was treated for a deep skin infection (pyoderma) on his chin which has since resolved. Are there any "classic" times which cavaliers with SM scratch? Does it ever involve only the chin?
He is not sensitive anywhere around his neck and seems normal and healthy otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Thanks, Pat & Riley

Hi Pat,
I have wholecolours and at this time of year - particularly over the past few warmer months - thay usually change coats, or have a cast. This involves a lot of scratching and, occasionally, a strep infection can result as has happened with your boy.
I would consider using one of the very good bathing preparations from the Vet, such as Malaseb, which not only gets rid of the nasty dandruffy scales but also leaves the coat looking terrific.
I am never without it as this time of year. I think this would help your boy.
Elspeth Glen, Scotland

I do hope it is something that can be quickly sorted.

This is of course one of the problems with SM, the symptoms are also those of many much less serious problems.

I would agree that shampooing with malaseb would be a good first step. It may solve the itch, and your worries.

I think the advice to insure your cavalier, if you have not already done so, is one that should be taken on board by everyone buying a cavalier

Thank you so much for your replies regarding Riley's scratching. I currently do not have any pet insurance but I will look into it. My vet did recommend the Malseb shampoo. I have not been as didgent about using it as maybe I should be. :( I will get back to bathig him more regularly with it and see if it makes a difference. She also gave me a Malseb lotion to put on after bathing him. Thanks for your wonderfiul thoughts and advise.:)

Back