• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mammary tumour

Nicki

Just a wee reminder to everyone for when you are stroking that gorgeous belly of your Cavalier - girls AND boys - to look out for any lumps and bumps...

Spaying greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumours {the canine equivalent of breast cancer}, but it does still occur even in spayed bitches - and sometimes in dogs :eek:

The most common occurence is in the 5 - 10 year old age group.

Approx 50% of these tumours are cancerous, but if they are found quickly and removed, then that offers the best prognosis.

I look after an 11 1/2 year old Cavalier, Fufu, she has just today been diagnosed with a mammary tumour, after I found a small, hard, pea sized lump next to one of her nipples :(

Unfortunately she isn't well enough to undergo surgery now, but we will just enjoy her for every day we have left with her.

Hi Nicki

I have booked Lily in to be spayed next Tuesday 22 nd (but of course I havent told her ) but I am looking for any excuse not to have her done as I well remeber how my other girls suffered ,would you say definately irrespective of how I would guard her in season that I Really Really should allow her to have the operation.:(

And if, as I have, you have an unneutered male, an occasional quick check for testicular cancer is a good idea. Very obvious (you can feel the lump in the scrotum, which becomes harder and a bit shiny) and if caught early very easy to deal with (you simply neuter them!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thank you everyone - Fufu is very grateful for the kind thoughts and pats ;)

Brian, I would defenitely recommend spaying - it completely elminates the chance of Pyometra, {womb infection} which is at best, very unpleasant and at worst, can be fatal :( It also greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumours.

You also don't have the worry of dealing with seasons.

Just make sure that your vet gives you pain relief medication, especially for the first night - it is quite a painful operation. If you assure them that you will keep Lily caged and quiet, as sometimes they use this as the reason for not giving meds :eek:, then inisist that they give you something.

Usually within a day or so they are feeling much better.

Hi nicki

And thanks for your reply ,and so very sorry about the beautiful fufu all our very best wishes to you and her .

Back