• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unexplained yelping

hwowen

Jasper has started yelping without explanation. Only 3 or 4 times this week, but as if he's in pain, and then it's over. He doesn't display any signs of pain on handling, and only yelps indoors??? He just did it now when he jumped down from a low stool. I'm hoping it's not a sign of spinal issues, etc. He's only about 18mths old.:confused:

Sorry to hear about this - but unexplained yelping ALWAYS needs to be checked out by a vet.

It could be anal glands, some kind of injury, or - hopefully not - possibly Syringomyelia.

Often when a dog is outside, they are distracted by what is going on and that takes their mind off any pain.

I just went through something similar with my boy Bailey and upon xray he had 4 herniated discs in the middle of his spine. We are going back today for a recheck. Hope your baby is doing ok.

Did a vet give him a check-up and an all-clear? If not, if he was yelping several times he should really be checked by a vet to see if he's got some sensitivity in his spine etc. He may be tolerating an uncomfortable level of pain, and you'd want that diagnosed and to give him some relief if this is the case. Also he may need his movements restricted so as not to make this worsen. Dogs are not good at limiting their own activity when they have a problem that needs crate rest for recovery. A vet can give appropriate advice. (y)

my cav fudge was doing this yesterday, even tried to bite me when i went to lift her up...i knew there was something up when i came home and opened the door she never came running, she seemed very subdued and everytime i went to check her or lift her she let out a yelp, she also didnt eat anything......thought i would leave her until today, happy to report she seems much more herself today ive been able to lift inspect and cuddle her with no yelping and she also wolfed down her food.....was very worrying though.

Any ideas?

If a dog yelps it will be because it is in pain! If it yelps more than once there is absolutely no doubt there is something wrong, if a dog yelps and tries to bite I would not hesitate to take it to a vet for an early check up this might stop a lifetime of complications, anguish and regret! With this breed you can't take a chance!

Thanks i'm going to get her checked over, happily she has completely returned to her normal bounding self.....hopefully she was just feeling a bit crook.

Back