• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unusual scratching

rorky

Hi,
I just wanted to write to say that my five year old cavalier has shown peculiar signs of scratching at nothing. I went to several vets but they could not say what it was. I then worked out that it was possibly spinal so I took her to a chiropractor. This relieved it a little. Then lo and behold I saw a documentary on pedigree dogs and there was a little blenheim showing exactly the same behaviour. I now have a name for her problem - "syringomyelia". I have researchd it on the net and can only offer her sympathy and maybe some aspirin. Her pain level is minimal so I can keep her and work around her disability rather than have her put to sleep. Thank Heavens.

I now have a name for her problem - "syringomyelia". I have researchd it on the net and can only offer her sympathy and maybe some aspirin. Her pain level is minimal so I can keep her and work around her disability rather than have her put to sleep. Thank Heavens.

You should really see a vet who is familiar with SM...just giving her aspirin is not enough...members of this board who have SM dogs will be able to give you more detailed advice, but I would definitely take her in to see a vet that can try to assess her level of pain and put her on something to help manage it...good luck :)

Sorry I missed this previously, will move your post to the SM/MVD forum where it should be seen.

Your dog does need to be assessed properly - aspirin is not a good drug for dogs anyway, and definitely isn't suitable for management of Syringomyelia

Please have a look at Karlin's site, http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

There is info there for you to print off and take to your vet.

Like Nicki and Cy said, please get her evaluated, preferably by a neurologist. While some vets know about SM, it can only be truly diagnosed and managed by a neurologist. She will probably have to have an MRI done to confirm the diagnosis. There are many dogs on this forum who have SM and are doing really well on medication specific to the disorder. My own dog, Riley, has SM and is managed on daily prednisone. She had surgery last year and is doing really well. Most SM dogs usually take Gabapentin to relieve the pain (which the scratching is a manifestation of). Please don't just give her sympathy, give her some help. She could still have a lot of good living left to do. I'm glad you found this remarkable group of people to give you support and help. Keep us updated about her status.

Back