• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisys Breathing Problem part 2 Kennel Cough

Brian M

QUOTE=Brian M;335139]HI

just a thought by tupup,Daisy is still not right she has now started like a dry retching but only occasional and Pops has also developed a type of cough but its as though she is trying to cough something up that may be stuck in her throat and Daisy's appetite is not great .So could it be a mild dose of kennel cough .:confused:[/QUOTE]

Hi

Took Daisy and Pops to the vets and it is this years strain of Kennel Cough so a bigger boost of anti- biotic jabs for both and a 7 day course of "Trimacare 80 Tabs 500" and a good chance that Lily and Rosie might get it as of course its highly contagious but they both don't really seem that ill apart from the occasional cough .We waited and saw Mr Shepherd who is the senior vet and also the practice owner as I wanted to get the best advice also after his check of them both with breath held I asked him to check both of the girls hearts and Thank Heavens both are 1 ST class and he said with a smile they are both fit and stop worrying about that at least for a good few years .So at least we got to the bottom of it and I know also they are both healthy but they are big tablets so the girls didn't thank me for taking them there .:):)Hurraycl*p

Last edited:
Kennel Cough!! It was worth taking them back to the vets to be absolutely certain,hope they recover quickly and the other pair escape the infection.Good to hear the hearts are in good shape though:).
More pampering required Brian!! Look after them.
Sins

Well done on taking them Bri,thatys fab news about their hearts!:)Im sorry tho that my gut instinct thought K.cough,it was only with a friends Chihuahua having it so it was in my mind. I really hope the others dont get it & that the meds work well & fast. Do you have to keep them isolated from other dogs (on walks)?
Now then Daisy & Poppy thats enough worrying your dad now,get well soonxx

Poor Poppy and Daisy - sending them get well soon wishes:flwr: and :xfngr: Rosie and Lily dont catch it.

We had an outbreak a couple of years ago at our Dog Training School and Cinders and Minnie both caught it. We all spent a miserable new year as they were confined to quarters as vet recommended kept them in for 10 days to ensure they didn't pass it on as its very contagious.

They loved their doses of "Benilyn cough medicine" and spoonfuls of honey as recommended by the vet - to help ease their poor throats.

Hi Sandrac

Thanks for the reply ,can you pls calrify the medicine you gave yours ,was it childrens.:confused:

Hi Sandrac

Thanks for the reply ,can you pls calrify the medicine you gave yours ,was it childrens.:confused:

Its was the adult Expectorant - just 5mls once or twice a day - but you might like to check with your vet as all vets are different. However it certainly helped especially at night when they seemed most poorly with the coughing.

Hi

I popped out to the chemists and got them some childrens Benylin Expectorant then I dashed up to Holland and Barret and bought some honey for the two of them ,so thanks for the advice .:)

So sorry to hear about your girls' illness! Ayear ago in the summer our golden developed something like kennel cough from a doggy communal watering dish in the park.

Hope everyone is soon back in tip top shape

Heather R

Poor Brian,

With Kennel Cough all you can do is sit it out.

Benylin is what my vet recommends to ease the cough.

Brian, some cough meds work on the dry cough and some work to ease moist coughing. Some loosen the secretions-others are for suppression to help with rest. From what I gather from the web some cough syrups have xylitol so that's a concern when choosing-should check with your Vet again.

Sending get well wishes your way, hope they get better soon.

I have had 5 in the house with it before :eek:, it's terrible when they are so miserable and are coughing up goo (hope your girls are doing this too much) - not to mention the constant disinfecting fo everything! Vet recommended Benlyin too and it works a treat at easing the coughing. Hope all are in top form soon :)

Back