• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is your dog a barker?

Erin2854

My 6 month old cavalier VERY rarely ever barks. My family are still waiting to hear her. I've heard her bark on a few rare occasions but she is def not a barker. Is this typical of the breed? (not that I'm complaining-I love the fact that she's not a yappy dog!)

from what I have heard and read a good portion of cavs don't bark much at all. on every web site I visited before I got my cav I read a warning..."cavaliers are not good watch dogs" my dog however did not get the memo, she is alert to the activity around her and not shy at all in barking to let others know she is well aware of them. she will bark at cats other dogs, birds. the door bell or a knock at the door, even if it is on tv. speaking of tv she will bark at most any animal on screen as well as some mean looking people. no my girl did not get the memo

My cav RARELY barks, I've heard her bark maybe 5 times in three years. The closest she gets is during fireworks, when she raises her head of the lounge and looks around and give out a small yip. She DOES 'talk' though, when she's waiting for her dinner or when she individually greats every family member in the morning.:-D

I have one Cav that barks and one that doesn't. I still wouldn't class the more talkative one (A male, of course! :rolleyes:) as a barker... my Working Cocker, that's a barker! When my non barking Cav (a lady!) does barks though, all the other dogs pay attention. She barks at some neighbours cats (usually, she is ok with cats, it's just these two in particular - they bug her) and at my OH when the water bowl is not full enough (very random), but generally she is quiet as a mouse.

Oh boy,Archie never stops,if hes not barking,hes moaning to himself,any thing sets him off.

frida barks because she feels weak.
her lungcapacity is reduced due to a massive 'attack' of lungworms when she was ½ yea old, and she had her right side femoral head amputated when she was 1½ years.
so i think she prefers to 'scare them off'.
kandis is sitser to frida and tends to bark when frida does.
the other two are sensible and quiet.:)

Daisy was never much of a barker but more of a growler,she growls at toys and dogs on TV but once she discovered the delight of chasing cats,she discovered her bark:).But as a puppy she never disturbed us much with barking.
Sins

Pippin isn't much of a barker, only at cats and magpies, and then it's more a cross between a bark and a howl. The rest of the time he "talks" and can whine as well.
Maddie on the other hand is gob almighty, and barks when she wants attention, at the black and white dog walking past that she doesn't like (but has never met), at the doorbell, the birds, cats, shadows, smells in the garden etc. Bless her. My first Cavalier Jenny didn't bark once that we heard in all of her 13 years.

Now, and this is confesison time, little Brandy who we're looking after doesn't bark, talks and whines a little but no bark. Unfortunately, thanks to Maddie's influence I'm sure, she has found her bark. So when she goes back to her owner he'll be getting a dog back that is noisier than the one he asked us to look after.:D Oops.

:eek:
Pippin isn't much of a barker, only at cats and magpies, and then it's more a cross between a bark and a howl. The rest of the time he "talks" and can whine as well.
Maddie on the other hand is gob almighty, and barks when she wants attention, at the black and white dog walking past that she doesn't like (but has never met), at the doorbell, the birds, cats, shadows, smells in the garden etc. Bless her. My first Cavalier Jenny didn't bark once that we heard in all of her 13 years.

Now, and this is confesison time, little Brandy who we're looking after doesn't bark, talks and whines a little but no bark. Unfortunately, thanks to Maddie's influence I'm sure, she has found her bark. So when she goes back to her owner he'll be getting a dog back that is noisier than the one he asked us to look after.:D Oops.

Cinders only barks occasionally when she is in the garden, but Minnie :roll: .The first 9 months I was worried she didnt have a voice but now she could well be Maddies alter ego - as soon as we get ready to go out she barks, then when we are out she barks at birds, smells, the wind, in fact just the sheer joy and excitement of going out. Seeing her you would think she never got to go out. :roll:

Occasionally she goes to the end of the garden and starts barking to wind the poor dog next door up, then when it barks back at her she runs indoors like a scalded cat :eek: .

Mindy barks to go out - if it's at night and we are sleeping. She will sometimes bark at people/dogs walking behind our back fence but she doesn't really bother anymore.

Max barks more but it's at "things". He alerts us to something/somebody new on the street. He always barks if the neighbours on one side are in the yard because they never acknowledge his present and he can't understand it:p The other neighbour makes a fuss over him and he thinks that's appropriate neighbourly behaviour.

He also barks at movies. The first time he did that he was sleeping on the couch. He barked when the doorbell rang, when the phone rang, if another dog barked but he slept right through the gunfight;) Strange creature.

Rylie doesn't really bark much yet but he is the most vocal of my dogs when he plays. He is always vocalizing when he and Max are playing.

Bosco has barked from the first night we got him. He barks at everything, the birds, the tv, dogs he doesn't like, cats, the wind, noises, the door bell, the hoover, shadows, to go out, to come in, and horrifyingly, for the first time last night, at a man we met when out walking. :bang: he does my head in but I love him anyway :lotsaluv:

Our three...Casey our oldest barks about 5 times a year, and only when there's something *really* weird that she has never seen (the last was an upside-down umbrella). She does talk, though, when the water bowl is empty and on the few occasions when she's really playful. It's more like a high-pitched growl though. When she does bark, it almost seems like it's hard for her to do; she acts sometimes like it chokes her or something?!

Winston was a rescue- we've had him 8 months and I've heard him bark twice- again, only at something peculiar he had never seen before.

Ollie will bark- at lizards, cats, when someone rings the doorbell, and when he smells or sees an animal or someone in our yard. He is our watch dog. He has an amazing sense about him and I always know he will alert us if something is amiss. He is also very vocal when he plays with Winston. I don't consider him to be overly barky, but he barks when I like him to and not at other times.

Cavaliers are not a yappy breed like some of the toy and smaller breeds can be, but all individuals vary :). Some can bark a lot; others rarely bark. Also many puppies don't bark a whole lot til after 6 months anyway -- it is something that tends to come up as the puppy begins to mature and the hormones kick in! Jaspar hardly ever barked til he was over 6 months.

Mine all will bark at something going on -- a cat on the roof or someone at the door -- but not just to bark, excepting Lily who gets overexcited at all sorts of things. Still she is quiet most of the time. Often dogs start to bark when you get more than one -- as they set each other off and a barker will often encourage a non-barker.

Dottie rarely barks unless she sees anything with four legs on tv, and then it is more of a quick bark then a fussy whine. If she wants to get our attention, her method of communication would be to sit and STARE at us until we move to do her bidding, or if that doesn't work, she hits the spring door stopper with her paw and we just hear the BOING...BOING....BOING....over and over again until we respond.

Now for Claire, she is never yappy, but will sit at the bottom of the stairs and bark if we go upstairs and she doesn't feel like climbing up to follow us. She will also "talk" for Dottie when necessary. The two girls sleep together in their crate at night, and last night Dottie had a late night bathroom call and needed to go out. Claire is the one who woke us up with the barking. As soon as we opened the door, Dottie ran out into the yard to go potty, and Claire just sighed, went back into the crate and back to sleep, then Dottie joined her when she was through. They are quite the team!

Back