• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Food -How Many Grammes Daily

Brian M

Hi

Just an open ended question as I know the answers are so variable ,size,exercise etc .But if we take a general type of Cavalier food say R C /JWB/Burns how many grammes of dry kibble only do you feed daily to your boys and girls.

Hey Brian!

Sparky weighs 8.1kgs & has 80g of either james wellbeloved turkey (or lamb) & veg adult kibble or at the mo he has the finest salmon fish4dogs adult - this I split into 2 meals & he gets 1/4 of a 'butchers' 150g meat tray mixed in.
(Oh - He's a neutered male 1 year & 8 months old & has apox an hours good run a day - plus playing with Cass!!!!)

Ps - thanx for reccomending the kronch oil, he's been on it 2 months now & the 'cotton coat' is about 90% gone!!!:w**h**:

You can check the bag for what each recommends per kg of weight -- really, all are very different, even different types of dry food made by the same manufacturer. I have a Royal Canin and a James Wellbeloved measuring cup here and on both the amounts are totally different depending on the actual type of food (eg regular, active, senior, puppy...). So I'd start with the recommended amount per kg of weight from the manufacturer then drop or add depending on activity level/metabolism of the individual dog. That said I find most manufacturers recommend a bit too much food and find I actually feed about 1/4th to 1/3rd less -- but then I also give supplemental snacks during the day so their kibble is not their total daily food.

Hi

Just an open ended question as I know the answers are so variable ,size,exercise etc .But if we take a general type of Cavalier food say R C /JWB/Burns how many grammes of dry kibble only do you feed daily to your boys and girls.

80 grammes Brian - split into 30 am and 50 pm. If anyone gets tubby they are reduced to 26 and 46 =72grammes.

I use RC and Burns. My bitches are aged 1 year to 12 years.
Elspeth

Food intake.

Well I have just measured out 100 gms and mine have far more each day plus tripe and the odd doggie biscuit.

Granted, mine are out in the field for most of the day and run to meet customers on their arrival.

Thankfully, mine are fit looking and most healthy.

Makes you wonder though as the bag recommmends approx 120 - 200 gms, based on a dog of between 7 - 10 kgs ?

Have a good day,

Mark.

Well I have just measured out 100 gms and mine have far more each day plus tripe and the odd doggie biscuit.

Granted, mine are out in the field for most of the day and run to meet customers on their arrival.

Thankfully, mine are fit looking and most healthy.

Makes you wonder though as the bag recommmends approx 120 - 200 gms, based on a dog of between 7 - 10 kgs ?

Have a good day,

Mark.

Mark,
I think you have to do what suits your lot best. They are all different.
Elspeth

mark, arden grange recommends 120gms as well but my vet keeps harley on 60gms a day which is hardly anything, he also insisted i chuck away anything less nutricious and only feed the higher range foods, but he doesnt get a lot of exercise. di

My girls are on JWB
Lucie is 3 and a half spayed and gets around 100g split 50/50 morning/evening and a JWB biscuit B4 bed Lucie is a larger cav at 9.6 kilos:cool:
Sasha is 17mths old spayed (4 weeks ago) and gets about 120 (as she is very skinny @ 6.2kilos) and split 60/60 and a JWB biscuit before bed;)

Mine get a moderate amount of exercise....walk kids to school twice day,lunch time walk and evening walk.Also a few days during the week its off to park for off leash with some doggy friends ;):drivecar:

I give my two 100mg of Arden Grange split into two meals, that is slightly less than the recommended amount on the bag. I think, as others have suggested, go by whats on the bag as a good baseline and adjust if necessary.
I have a question though, if you give extras, such as raw carrot, should the kibble amount be reduced by a similar weight?

Back