• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Insurance for your dog?

I got my Ebony with M&S. Even they have been good so far, paid the Cardiologist direct so I only had to find the first £70, their insurance premiums go up and up and up (even if you don’t claim) Unfortunately I am stuck with them because Ebony’s heart. At the moment I pay £17 a month and she is 3 years old.

My other two are with Axa. For Harley who is 17 month old I pay £9.99 a month and Rosie who is 3 ½ years old I pay £12.00 a month. Both are lifetime covers. I never had to claim yet so I don’t know what they are like but other members on here are very happy with Axa.

My first two dogs were a Doberman/Alsatian X and a Poodle/Briard X. They were insured for 10 years of their life and I never made one single claim. They both lived till they were 15 years old. I wish I had a Crystal ball as I could have saved myself a lot of money. With cavaliers I certainly wouldn’t take the chance of not having insurance.

I no what you mean Sabby my OH was talking about this the other day, we have had Jasper insured since a pup and it always went up every year, but for 8 years we only ever made one claim, but now during the past 12 months we have made ongoing claims for medication and tests concerned with Jasper`s MVD, his insurance is now just over £30 per month, but you just never know what the future holds. I know that some people said to us they used to put money aside for a doggy savings account in case things went wrong.

I no what you mean Sabby my OH was talking about this the other day, we have had Jasper insured since a pup and it always went up every year, but for 8 years we only ever made one claim, but now during the past 12 months we have made ongoing claims for medication and tests concerned with Jasper`s MVD, his insurance is now just over £30 per month, but you just never know what the future holds. I know that some people said to us they used to put money aside for a doggy savings account in case things went wrong.

£30 a month seems a lot even for an 8 year old dog. I will pay that eventualy with M&S as it goes up a lot every year. Mind you my friend is with M&S and her dog is 8 years old and it is nearly costing her £60 a month. We looked online and AXA was a LOT cheaper in insuring an 8 year old dog. may I ask who you are insured with?

Doggy Savings account is ok until something happens that costs a lot of money before you safe up. My friends insurance paid out over £3,000 for her dog that had diabetes.

We are insured with Pet Plan Sabby, Jasper is now nearly 10 and it seemed that over the years even though we never made any claims it always went up. We did look into other insurance campanies years ago but we wanted one which covered ongoing iillnesses as I always knew that MVD was a high risk in the breed, which in our case has proved to have happened, I had never heard of AXA for pet insurance, but would certainly look at them if we ever get another dog.

Hi all,

I am thinking of changing to AXA after reading this thread , I currently insure my 2 cav's thru PetPlan , I have the covered for life policy covering up to £12,000 per year. I am currently paying nearly £60 a month for my 2 , the premiums with axa will only be £26 ! Although they do only pay up £7000 a year.
The only thing that Pet Plan has going for it at the moment is that my vets will only take the excess of you and put the claim into Pet Plan for you (although I have never made a claim)

Alison x

I have Rosie's insurance with Sainsburys which is underwritten by AXA. I have just renewed for a second year with them with no increase in premium AND they have also given me 3 months free!! So I'm only paying £86 for the year. The excess is £75 per condition (this is £125 or 15% of treatment costs if she was over 9 years old) and the limit is £7500 per condition.

Fortunately, I have not had to use the insurance, but I would rather have it there just in case.

All 3 of ours are insured on 1 policy, it works out at £45 per month total, which i'm happy with, as it's a very comprehensive policy, and it's been a godsend this last year with the amount of trips Jake made to the vet last year, also Lucy who has a murmur, allthough she's not on any meds yet,and hopefully it'l stay that way for a while yet, but when she eventually does need it our policy will pick up the tab

Wow im feeling hard done by. Mines over £77 amonth for the two. Mind you its too late now and they ha ent refused a claim to this day. Ah well its still worth every penny !

Who are you with Karen? That does sound expensive...

Like most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for.

Often the cheaper insurance policies only cover you until 12 months after the condition started - so no good for ongoing conditions like MVD. Others cover you for a limit per condition but for the lifetime of the dog - eg £6000. My new Virgin policies are like that.

Petplan cover the condition for the lifetime, but give you something like £6000 PER YEAR.

M&S put their premiums up a huge amount per year - I ended up paying over £45 per month for Rupert at age 12.

I've heard two sides of Petplan - they can be excellent, but they can also be one of the worst for getting out of paying claims.

Back