• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pack Leader?

vgaffney83

How can I make myself a pack leader under/or beside my husband? Lucky listens to his every word while he won't even look my way when I call him. Any suggestions??

There is no such thing as 'pack leader' with regards to dogs OR wolves anymore. It has been disproven and basically a load of old garbage, for wolves never mind pet dogs who've been breed for 14000 years NOT to be wolves (y) In the wild the wolves are all part of a family and not an artifical pack. The family contains the Mother and Father and all their children from different litters. They are now called a family because that is what they are. Just like in any family there is no scabble to get to the top by eating first, going through doors first the parents have a vested interest in their children etc etc etc the traditionally called 'Alphas or Pack leaders' are now correctly called the parent wolves or the breeding pair - because thats what they are! You need to train your dog to listen to you - simple as that and not worry about any of this symbolic stuff!!! Reward the behaviour you like and ignore the behaviour you don't. Put the time into training her and she will listen to you :lotsaluv:

BTW CavCross besides being one of my great rescue fosters, is a certified professional dog trainer. :)

I agree with this -- your dog is listening to your husband not because he is a 'pack leader' but simply because he gets your dog's attention in a way that you are not and/or because sometimes a dog will attach more to one family member. I find that it is often the case with men that dogs seem to respond to the deeper voice and also -- to be honest -- to someone who talks less than we women tend to do to our dogs! :lol: Also they (men) are often a quieter, calmer presence -- simply because women tend to be moving around the house, doing things, chatting to our dogs. Dogs understand calm, clear, simple commands and messages far better than lots of chatter (which is why trainers say not to repeat commands at dogs and also why dogs tend to respond better to hand signals and clickers than voice!).

I'd try as Brian says to be the person who does things always for your dog and also who does daily training practice, using a calm, firm, low voice with clear cues to the dog. If you haven't, do a rewards -based obedience class and consider more activity with your dog such as agility -- nothing helps bond a relationship like doing structured activities together where you are working as a team. :dogwlk:

I am the source of food and comfort and love for Lucky. That's why I'm having a hard time with this! I will continue to work with him a few times a day and hope that hard work pays off! I have started using "high value" treats while my husband sticks with the kibble. Karlin your discription of a "woman" with a dog fits me to a T. I walk around that place talking to him as if he understands my every word! As far as I'm concerned, we have great conversations! LOL. With his head turning side to side with every statement I make. I LOVE him so much and just want him to healthy and happy and well adjusted! Thanks for the help guys...maybe I'm not crazy.

Back