• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very worried about Dougal

cecily

Dougal has been vomiting all evening and I'm very worried about him.

He has a very sensitive stomach and although he's never been sick since we got him, he does vomit very occassionally if he's had too much rich food.

This afternoon he vomited around 5pm for the first time. We rang the vets and booked him in for a check up (it's that time of the year anyway, and he needs worming). Earliest they had was Thursday. He was in good form and was over-excited the first time he vomited so didn't think too much of it (as I said, not that unusual for him anyway).

Since that though, he has vomited up his dinner (plain Burns kibble), went outside and spent a while eating grass then came in and vomited it all up (twice), The second time it was a reddish brown. I rang the vet out-of-hours number explaining all this and he said that it's probably just some inflammation and just to monitor him and if necessary bring him in in the morning.

He's had some retching since with a little bit of foam, but that's it.

He doesn't seem to be too out of sorts. He's extremely placid and generally just lazes about in the evening anyway... He's moving about as normal (may be a little more restless), following me into the kitchen looking for food as normal. Drinking plenty. Making the odd moan... although this is fairly normal also.

Should I ring the vet and insist he be seen tonight?? He's been resting quietly the past half hour without incidence.

Should I crate him tonight as normal (the vet said on the phone to stick with his normal night routine), or bring him up to my room to keep an eye on him?

Meant to say, they ate some of our post when we were at work today. Billy comes home at 12 to let them out and he left it on the table. When we got home one envelope had been partially chewed, and a brochure had been shredded. They don't normally do this so I'm not sure if he was feeling misadventurous because he was ill or if he's ill because he was misadventurous. Also not sure which dog, usually it's dora who takes things out on toys and things but maybe he ate something funny... there's not a bother on Dora. His first vomit was a bit weird looking apparently (I made billy clean it up because I'm pregnant and using that as an excuse for a multitude of undesirable tasks... although I'm a bit sorry now I didn't have a better look). We just presumed it was a bit of paper or something...

It's most likely something in the post:p. They are real scavangers, if he's not throwing up or showing signs of gas or discomfort I think you'd be ok till the morning.We once had a sliotar reappear in three increments on my fabric couch, I was amazed to see pieces of leather and cork appearing.......(leather replacement couch ordered shortly after)
Hope he's ok and there's no obstruction.
Sins

A sliotar is pretty impressive :) Daisy must be one tough cookie :D

He's been ok the past while. I think I'll phone in the morning and bring him in on the way to work.

Mine sometimes go through this -- Lily in particular. They get bugs etc. Something is bothering him but if he is otherwise acting fine and also now keeping things down I'd not worry too much. If he is also fine all night I'd just take him in Thursday.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the messages. Walked Dougal this morning and he seemed back to normal. Had a bit of diarrhea during the day though so we brought him straight to the vet this evening.... No more vomiting, vet checked him over and gave him two injections plus a course of tablets. Anal glands got a squeeze, and he's not allowed eat until tomorrow :( Poor thing. he's in pretty good form considering though.

Wait until you hear what the vet did though... Billy took the dogs to the vet because I was working, and the vet (who we know a few years) was commenting on dougals coat and how his ears were particularly long and he didn't really look like a cavalier (?????) He asked if he could trim the inside of the ears as it could cause canker and billy agreed. Next thing Billy knew he'd trimmed the ends of them right up. The vet said he looks more like a cavalier now (???!!!!!!!!!*&&^%$^&). So basically Dougal came home with a bob. I could have cried, as it's such hard bloody work keeping those long ears trimmed and now he looks like a shih tzu. :( Was raging to begin with but trying to see the funny side now.

Sounds like he has a touch of that bug going around, Pippin had it about two weeks ago.

So sorry to hear about his ears, they'll grow back quick enough .... although I would have gone mental!!

:eek: His lovely ears.....nooo
I don't suppose you have pictures of the "bob"..:(
I suppose it's good that he's not seriously ill.
Sins

Glad to hear Dougal is feeling a bit better now :) Im amazed at your vet taking it upon himself to give him a haircut though :eek: how cheeky is that!!????

Thanks everyone, I'm sure the ears will be good as new before long, just like his tummy! I'm not too worried. He's still my cutie. :)

:eek: His lovely ears.....nooo
I don't suppose you have pictures of the "bob"..:(
I suppose it's good that he's not seriously ill.
Sins

Actually I must take a photo! I'll try to post one later :)

and one of Dora too please..........*special request:lotsaluv:

Well I can't deny Dora's favourite foster mum such a special request ;)

Here's some pics of them both this evening... Dora very unusually the one with the longer ears!!! Dougal's bob actually doesn't look too bad in the pictures.

dougal_001.jpg

dougal_007.jpg

dougal_008.jpg

Thanks, that's made my night:).
I can't believe how much her coat has grown and she's all filled out and so mature!!
Dougal hasn't been too badly hacked,I feared it might have been worse.
It's always upsetting when an unplanned grooming incident occurs:mad:
Sins

Glad to hear that Dougal is feeling better. Sorry to hear about his ears! Naughty vet, bit out of order really, but they will grow back. Actually, you do kind of get used to the look, as since we had Grace (our puppy) I have chopped quite a bit off Phoebe's ears because Grace keeps hanging on to them and chewing them....she's a bit of a madam! :)

Back